Fuel related issue, please chime in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Driving home the other day in my 98 k1500 pu 5.7l when she just died. Had an p0122code on scan. I adressed that but as i believed there was a fuel issue. I have a no start situation now. Seems my fuel pump is running, i can hear it dumping in the tank, but no pressure on the schrader valve. Is this a sending unit failure or a pressure regulator issue? The pump is 6 yrs ols rebuilt with delco parts kit. The FPR is original i bet. Any ideas are helpful

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you say ‘no pressure’ do you mean zero? Do you get any fuel from the schrader valve?

How old is the fuel filter?

Even with a leaking regulator, I’d think that you would get *some* pressure upstream; it would just leak down quickly.

Since the pump runs, it could be a restriction in the supply line/filter, a faulty sender or an obstruction on the pump inlet strainer. To check for a restriction, remove the filter, disconnect the supply line at the firewall and blow compressed air through it, coming out at the filter connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You said the pump assembly was rebuilt with a parts kit? If so I would suspect it blew the hose off between the pump and module top, especially if you can hear gas flowing in the tank.

Literally this or that hose split. Either way normally you shouldn’t hear fuel splashing in the tank.

Reaction score
The line failure above the pump was my thought. I am going to drop the tank and pull the unit. Thanks guys for confirming my initial suspicion.

Reaction score
So the tank degraded and clogged he fuel filter causing the line end above the pump to pop off. Cleared line, changed filter, cleaned and tested fuel pump, and changed tank. She fired right up with plenty of pressure.