Fuel problem, please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Have a 95 Z-71 that will crank and barely run if you keep tapping the gas. The injectors and top half of TBI have been swapped with working ones off a running truck. Distributor cap/ rotor, spark plugs and wires, and even fuel filter have been replaced.. Can the fuel pump cause it to act like its not getting gas? The injectors are spraying, but I'm guessing not enough to stay idle or run.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Low fuel pressure can make it do that. Just for grins unplug the temp sender by the thermostat. This will make it dump fuel in a normal situation. In your case if it ran better it is because your fuel pump can't keep up but the injectors are dumping fuel thinking that the temperature is -40.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
yea, good tips from skylark.

and a fuel pump can and will cause those symptoms, thats how I got my truck, the previous owner couldn't figure out what was wrong so i bought it not even able to idle and I replaced the fuel pump and it was back to a normal truck.

Reaction score
Just ran out and tried it, was able to get it to actually stay running with barely keeping pedal pressed. So bad pump then?