fuel gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's a 95+ it's not hard to get to and remove the cluster but I don't know if there are specifics regarding reseting the odometer and whatnot.

viper700t

Reaction score
so to fix my prob, do i need to replace the entire cluster or can i just fix the fuel gauge?

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue for a while, now my issue is the gauge stays in place for a while before dropping down to current gas levels. just started up recently and it throws me off a bit. This only happens with in town driving though. Driving across the state the needle moves like it should. But I'll stay watching this thread to see what your fix is.

silsbeeman

Reaction score
sounds like a bad ground wire

the only gauge that seems to work and looks to be right is the volt gauge. temp gauge doesnt even move. there was an after market temp gauge hooked up but didnt work. old temp gauge sensor was zipped tied off to side so i removed after market and replaced stock and nothing happens. oil pressure seems to work, but its a lil bouncy. with truck running, oil pressure seems to run between 40 and 80. with truck off, the needle doesnt even go back down to 0. it sits half way between 0 and 40. speedometer moves but is obviously off by atleast 10 mph. ill check the ground near the sending unit here in a few. two days ago, a neighbor was about to change his sending unit and after removal of the bed, noticed ground wire was caked with dirt and somewhat lose. he was saying truck runs fine but if u get in the gas some, it sputters some. he changed out sending unit anyhow since he bought it. So, speedo, fuel, and temp dont work properly. Sound like bad cluster or just individual problems with each?

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
Since it is multiple things at once, i would lean more towards cluster. But since it seems like someone has been through the truck, it could be a individual problem thing.

I would go to a yard and get a cluster and test it right there in the parking lot. that way if it is the cluster works fine you are good to go, and if it is still acting up you could return it and your not out any cash. I don't know how yards work by you but by me the will let me check it first before i pay with stuff like that.