Front dif?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1990 K-1500

and I am in the middle of this RH seal change. Now I am at the point of tapping the gear back on the axle but it isn't working. It came off easy enough, but now... Is there a trick to it?
Photos? I have no idea what "gear" needs to be "tapped back on the axle".

Yup, ready? Part number is: RTV
RTV can degrade in the presence of synthetic gear lube. GM has a bulletin on this.

OTOH, they were probably using the crappiest RTV on Earth, and Permatex does have an RTV variety that's specially-made to be gear-lube resistant.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ordered a monster quick ship trans

Uh oh....

Have you already paid for that? If not I would seriously reconsider. There are a lot of horror stories floating around about Monster Transmission.

sdinAZ

Reaction score
Photos? I have no idea what "gear" needs to be "tapped back on the axle".

RTV can degrade in the presence of synthetic gear lube. GM has a bulletin on this.

OTOH, they were probably using the crappiest RTV on Earth, and Permatex does have an RTV variety that's specially-made to be gear-lube resistant.
Sorry I thought I was replying to a post that was describing the same situation. The guy said just tap it on. See pic...

Attachments

• axleTube.jpg
    axleTube.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 5

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong, GM does not specify synthetic lube for the 8.25 front diff?

Cherryred98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Number and type of friction and steels in the clutch packs, shift points and pressure modulation (internal coil springs) in the valvebody when they build the valve body to your vehicle setup, i.e. OE stock vs modified with different tire sizes(axle gears)
What about Speedo? Can they do anything about that?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about Speedo? Can they do anything about that?

No. The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is in the t-case.
You can replace the VSSB (vehicle speed sensor buffer) with a programmable one. I did that with my '95 C2500 when I put on 315/75s and 4.88 rear gears.
It's located under the ECM, which is behind and above the glove box. The one I bought had dip switches installed and could be easily reset if I changed ties size (or gears... not gonna though)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It comes with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty

You'll probably need it...

Sorry to be negative as it sounds like you've already bought it but there are just so many bad experiences with Monster documented out there. This is the first result from a quick Google search, a member on the GMT400 reddit page who claims to be a former Monster employee.

"Not all transmissions were tested when the company claimed they were. Just built and shipped.

Too-worn used parts were put in rebuilds that were marketed as "all new".

Half of the transmissions were build by shady companies (stock), branded as monster high HP builds and shipped.

Customers shipped in their cores for rebuilds, monster would loose them, ship the customer the wrong trans back, and blame the customer. "You're ******"

3 week turnarounds were a lie, 3 months was part for the course. Staff forced to lie to customers.

Customer gets a transmission, complete dud. Customer is forced to pay round trip shipping, parts, monster trans labor, new converter, and fluid. I saw some customers (pro shops that have installed monster transmission units before without issue) have to go through this process over 4 times.

Huge turnover on staff, nobody was happy. Most builders were brand new off the street, very little experience.

Haven't worked there in 2 years. Hope they changed. Not what they used to be when they started"