Front axle seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJK555

Reaction score
Re a 88 K2500 4x4 auto trans with a 5.7L TBI, I'm looking for a procedure to replace the right front axle shaft seal. Haynes talks about removing the axle tube with all components and taking it to a dealer for seal and/or bearing replacement. Is it possible to undo the drive axle and push it out of the way and to tap out the axle shaft to get at the seal? Thanks in advance.
David

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when you say right side if you mean the PS then it's not bad.

you need to unbolt the cv axle from it, 6 15mm bolts, then let that hang down, remove the plugins from it. remove the 2 bolts holding that side axle tube to the frame, I think they are 18 or 19mm, may need a wrench on top to hold that part if you remove the tube from the bracket. Then remove the 5 15mm bolts that connect the tube from the diff.

watch the parts, washers, a gear, fork, and spring. Once removed you can tap the end of the axle with a soft hammer or wrap it up and hit it. that will get it loose so you can pull it from the tube, pop the seal with a screwdriver or something, drive in the new one, slide the axle in, then reinstall the gear that you must drive down to lock it in. You need a big socket or something that will fit on the inner part of the gear, but around the stub. Drive it in then reinstall.

Good luck with it too, I bought a new seal for mine, right number and all, the seal fell out(old one) and the new one fell in, so mine still leaks.