Fresh rebuild and cam, rough start and idle...is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'eh tuning isn't that hard. I'd take port (or direct injection) over carb any day of the week. I can understand where you are comming from though.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
well only if you want to keep the trans lol. I would ditch it all and throw in a carb, do a inline pump or something or make the stocker work if it's possible, then you'd have to do aftermarket gauges and what not, yea it would be pretty involved for sure.

I wouldn't keep any computer stuff though if I didn't have no, no o2, no tps, change the dist. and whatever else is computer controlled, the trans would have to be changed, so alot would need to be changed, that's kinda why I don't like new stuff, have to redo the whole thing for one simple change. or you have to learn electronics and computer programming and such to tune it and make changes with the computer.

your talking Thousands of dollars. for like a $300 tune.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
blah blah blah lol you wanna argue over it? lol j/k

yea it was just an idea. chip aint cheap but it's cheaper then doing everything else to convert it.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
blah blah blah lol you wanna argue over it? lol j/k

yea it was just an idea. chip aint cheap but it's cheaper then doing everything else to convert it.

not trying to argue, but just stating the facts, Carb swap would be ridiculous if he just has to spend a couple hundered on a proper tune.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea but trying to get it done thru the mail as you said, if you were to add in the cost of driving ot towing to a place that can do it, then it would get expensive.

needs it tuned for sure no doubt about that. I think I would invest in the stuff and do it myself lol.

gulleyman

Reaction score
Wow, didn't know this post was getting so much attention, thanks for all your input guys!
I spoke with the guy who rebuilt the engine and he said he has a guy that can tune it right, but didn't know how much it might cost. I really want Nelson Performance to do it right but I don't want to have to drive back and forth to their shop or mail it back several times either. I also think they should keep it until they get it right. Gonna call them today to see what the deal is, I have an extra ECM I can use while they dinker around with it but I think it'd be better for them to keep the truck instead.
Also I forgot to mention that I upgraded to the MFI set-up too, should be a run'n fool once it's tuned right!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah if you've already paid nelson, I'd at LEAST give them another shot at it or 2. sometimes it takes a little bit to dial these things in.

gulleyman

Reaction score
That's definitely what I'll have to do, man I want this thing to running right already, I'm getting impatient lol.