frame cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlytle

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am beginning work on my truck and don’t know where to start. So i am thinking about cleaning the frame and under carriage so everything is nice and easy to work on. Do ya'll have any suggestions on a cleaner or tools to use? Things to address while in under there? This is going to be my first project truck so I’m learning as i go.
Thanks in advance
Danny

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I would start with a good cleaning using simple green and a pressure washer to get all the crap off. after that I would unbolt all the grounds and clean them up with a dremel and put them back, its just good insurance against stupid electrical problems. that's a start for ya. while your under it I would get a grease gun and fill up all your joints with grease, anything you can find with a nipple on it even the front drive shaft has one on mine. I use lucas grease but any kind is better than nothing.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
power wash first then degrease then take a wire wheel to any rust and then undercoat it and of the stuff that sky high said

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
If you're going to go through all the effort to clean the frame I would definitley recommend putting some POR15 or similar product on there.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
If you're going to go through all the effort to clean the frame I would definitley recommend putting some POR15 or similar product on there.

^Exactly

I'm planning on wire wheeling the entire frame this spring and coating it with either POR-15 or Chassis Saver so I never have to deal with a nasty frame again

dlytle

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t even think about grounds:Stupid Me: I was messing around under the truck last night and noticed that the outside of the frame rails on the rear end is covered in some kind of rubber/plastic. It is all over the wheel wells and frame rails. I think i am going to leave it alone maybe do some touch up with plastic dip. What ya’ll think should i try and remove it and see what’s under it or just touch it up? I’ll try and get some pictures tonight.
Also on greasing the fittings is it worth it to buy a grease gun with a longer hose or will one of the small ones work fine.
Thanks
Danny

dlytle

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the frame rails. I think i am just going to knock off the lose stuff and touch it up.
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16550&d=1367195325
attachment.php

attachment.php

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being your frame rails are super clean i would just wire wheel the loose stuff off and then a good degrease with simple green and a good pressure washer. Then i wouldnt por15 because its wicked clean and por15 doesnt stick to anything but rust trust me.

dlytle

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. That’s what i think i will do. I have a few cans of plastic dip left over from my painting my tailgate i think I will use. once i get it going i will post more pictures.
Danny