Ford Model T - Overlander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had bought a bunch of crappy 1925-26 front fenders to make some rear fenders from.

We cut two left and two right fenders up to salvage the front curve and fender brace.
What's left of a cut front fender.

You must be registered for see images attach

By retaining the fender brace and bending it over it became a mount.

After some eyeballing to get the right droop front and rear we trimmed the fender pieces to length and gas welded them together.

Four bolts per fender fasten them to the bed. There is some additional reinforcement added to the braces where they were bent.

The access hatch to the under-bed storage didn't have a handle yet. So I routed out a pocket and added two of these flush handles.

While we were bending and welding we made up these armrest brackets.

Then made up the armrest pads and covered them.

That finishes the body except for the canvas, which we're working on now.
I've unearthed my circa 1915 Singer 31-15 industrial sewing machine and have been getting it tuned up in anticipation for the canvas work.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The "canvas work" is a set of side curtains and some additional panels that turn the entire thing into a tent.
Something like this:

I'm also making bags for the tent poles, the gate legs, the jack tools, and some other tools.

And I'm also making a vintage looking canvas cover for a modern cooler.
Something that will make a 55L Canyon cooler look like this evaporative cooling rig. I've even reworked the polar bear artwork so we can stencil it on the cover.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I have been hanging out for an update, this is such an interesting journey to follow. Thank you so much for including so much detail as you go along. For some of us the Model T is something we have never ridden in let alone worked on but you make it all come to life in a really interesting way. I can't wait to see you take it out on your first overland adventure.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back to the build up of the T! We hit another milestone last month, so I'll update the thread to there.

After a few more test drives we found that the valve cover (aka side plate) was still leaking. Because of it's proximity to the manifold and that it has to slip behind the alternator, I couldn't use the rigid cast aluminum plate. And, we couldn't use a thick gasket. So, we tried a thin rubber gasket. Then a thin closed cell foam gasket. Then a cork gasket glued to the block. All of those failed. So, I admitted defeat and glued both sides of the cork gasket. Now the side cover is glued on and doesn't leak. I bought a half dozen spares to use when the valves are adjusted.

Now, we're starting on the roof.

Back when we were about halfway done with the engine I cut some feet and backing plates on the CNC plasma cutter and welded the feet to some 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron. These would be the uprights for the canopy. Though I had worked out most of the truck in CAD, I fudged on the height of these uprights. We wanted to have the bottom of the body done so we could judge how high we could get the roof and still make it into the garage. We had to make the uprights high enough to clear the windshield, but then the planned curved roof would hit the garage door opening. After some measurements we found that we'd have to thin the roof by shortening the side boards and lowering the curved crown. Planning done, it was time to cut the uprights to the correct length.

We bolted them into the corners of the bed.

And added backing plates to the underside of the bed. Square nuts are a requirement.

All four uprights on the Model-T.

We bought some lumber to make the roof frame. Started by drawing out the lateral crown of the different sections of the roof. This was done with extreme precision. :rolleyes:

Try neoprene rubber. They may make one of these with a thin steel core for this application.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really cool build. Looks like what they used to refer to as a "depot hack" back in the day. Depot hacks were used to run to the train stations. Load up with passengers baggage to take to the local hotel. The depot hacks had canvas and plastic side curtains that rolled down and snapped in place.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really cool build. Looks like what they used to refer to as a "depot hack" back in the day...

Yep, I've got photos of depot hacks, station wagons, farm trucks, delivery vans, express delivery trucks, and vintage campers. I've taken inspiration from many of them, and you'll see features on these that I brought into my design.

Here's a farm truck I like.

A great express delivery.

An inspirational station wagon, aka depot hack.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are all so cool(including yours)!
Reminds me of this one. Anyone recognize it?

Last edited: