Ford brakes kicking my ass...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive put about 200 or so miles on my truck since the SAS conversion with a 1979 Ford Dana 60 high pinion. it has dual piston calipers and ive noticed the brakes have been getting worst and louder and pulling either way while stopping so i put it on the lift and pulled everything apart. i found that the brand new pads were now shot from what im guessing was over heating and falling apart. so now i have new brakes, rotors, calipers and everything is greased up and still it pulls either way while braking and squeaks like a ******* and rubs the rotors when i dont even have my foot on the brake. i dont think the calipers are releasing all the way. could the old ABS stuff be messing with it? the rubber lines are only about 3 years old too. any ideas???

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
now you know the joys of ford ownership. seriously though, with all the new parts are the brakes dragging at all? get it up in the air and see if it spins free, then hit the brakes a couple times and check it again. if in fact the brakes got real hot, rebleed the brakes to make sure ya didn't boil the fluid. as far as the abs goes the first thing I would have done was junk all that crap and eliminate it.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
now you know the joys of ford ownership. seriously though, with all the new parts are the brakes dragging at all? get it up in the air and see if it spins free, then hit the brakes a couple times and check it again. if in fact the brakes got real hot, rebleed the brakes to make sure ya didn't boil the fluid. as far as the abs goes the first thing I would have done was junk all that crap and eliminate it.

Yes i think that they are dragging a little bit. After letting off the brake the wheel spins but has some drag it seems. The rear wheels which have 2500hd disk brakes keep spinning after letting the tire go for a couple revolutions ublike the fronts whick just stop once you let go of the tire. I think my next project is going to be removing all the abs crap.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Is it just one side or both?
This may sound funny, but when the front is in the air and both of the brakes are "Bound up" crack open a bleeder and see if they both move freely. I had an issue with a master cylinder holding the pressure on to the fronts and causing the front brakes to burn up and the rear brakes barely had any wear.

ABS won't hold the brakes on, they will however release them and your brake pedal will drop.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it just one side or both?
This may sound funny, but when the front is in the air and both of the brakes are "Bound up" crack open a bleeder and see if they both move freely. I had an issue with a master cylinder holding the pressure on to the fronts and causing the front brakes to burn up and the rear brakes barely had any wear.

ABS won't hold the brakes on, they will however release them and your brake pedal will drop.
yes it is both sides doing it. it started doing it once i did the sas conversion so i dont think that its the mater but it very well could be. ill try and crack one of the bleeders and see where that gets me, thanks

I just read an article somewhere the other day about swapping '79 Ford Dana60 brakes to chevy.. if that's an option for you I'll try to dig something up
yeah sure if the article was on line just post up the link. i just wish there was a kit to put 99 and up front brakes on. those are amazing!

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I just read an article somewhere the other day about swapping '79 Ford Dana60 brakes to chevy.. if that's an option for you I'll try to dig something up

he already has 79 ford d60/big hub d44 brakes, he is having a residual pressure issue or a caliper/slide issue