FNG From LI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
From Long Island, NY found this great site through FSC. I'm currently in the market for a GMT 400 and maybe you guys could help me with a problem I'm having.

I'm really torn between a pickup or a Suburban. Suburbans are much more common around here and generally cheaper. Chevy/GMC doesn't make a difference to me though I am partial to GMC as I am a GMC tech at a local dealer. It was be a 96+ as I want the newer Vortec as well as OBDII. I'd prefer a K1500, as it would be a daily and I would like some sort of MPG as well as dont want the harsh 3/4 ride all day. But, If I found a clean K2500 for the right price I would probably jump on it.

Not really planning on going with a lift or crazy off road like many members though maybe a couple inch suspension lift and little bit taller tires wouldn't be out of the question down the road. My plan for the truck is to just set it up as a comfy daily and a dedicated tow rig for my trailer and car to get to the track. This is where the idea of a Suburban come to me, enclosed cargo area, plenty of seating for the crew, comfort, a place to hide out from weather at times. Or, just get a pickup and get a cap for the track days?

Figure a 16-1800 pound open trailer and a 2900lb Nova. That shouldn't be a issue for a stock K1500 either Burb or pickup should it? Minor things to help it trailer better would also be done.

My experience with these trucks all fall on the GMT800 platform and not the 400, so any info and advice is greatly appreciated. Any particular things to be aware of or look for with these trucks? As I said before I would be setting it up as a tow rig as well as a solid daily so preferably I would like a truck that already has a factory towing package and build off it from there, which brings me to my next question, what exactly did the factory towing packages entail? Is there a quick way to identify if a truck is equipped with it? Is there a RPO list out there I can become familiar with when I go to look at prospective trucks? Is there a available list of the RPOs a particular truck has within easy sight?

Sorry about all the questions, just want to have a lot of information before I start seriously look at trucks and figured this was the place to ask. Thanks for all your help.

- Rob

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
:welcome: Check for Rust! and there are several websites online where you can look up rpo codes but I think you have to have the rpo codes from the glove box to look up the options. I do know that rpo code GU6 is for 3.42 gears....

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
:welcome: Check for Rust! and there are several websites online where you can look up rpo codes but I think you have to have the rpo codes from the glove box to look up the options. I do know that rpo code GU6 is for 3.42 gears....

I put my vin number in to get all my rpo codes I foun a link on here some where

Sent from the legion of doom

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I put my vin number in to get all my rpo codes I foun a link on here some where

Sent from the legion of doom
The one I used you had to put each in individually....

Reaction score
look for the wiring near the hitch then it has the towing package

So If the truck has the trailer harness it has the towing package? Does this also mean it has the aux. tranny cooler, the 3.73s, etc? What exactly did the towing package for this generation GM truck (specifically 96-99) include?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
So If the truck has the trailer harness it has the towing package? Does this also mean it has the aux. tranny cooler, the 3.73s, etc? What exactly did the towing package for this generation GM truck (specifically 96-99) include?

Just because it has a harness doesn't mean you have the towing package. I don't have the TP but I have a trailer harness because I went to walmart and crimped one in.

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score

I think so but don't know what that all includes but most if not all z71s have 3.73