Flywheel back help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian Carver

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 93' k1500 Z71 that I am planning a complete performance rebuild on and would like to get some advice on torque converters, transmissions, transfer cases, drive shafts, rear-ends/axles, gear ratios, etc. The plan is to drop a 450 to 500 HP and 500 ft. lb. motor into the truck. Add a 4" lift with 33" all terrain tires as well. I want the truck to be an all around good truck for highway driving as well as taking off road for hunting and what not. I would love to hear everyones thoughts on the parts I have listed above and in what order you would add them as this will all go into place before the new engine is installed.

Thanks for your help!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much are you wanting to spend? If it where me and I had the budget I would do a dana 60 and 14 bolt full float axle swap. You said your only wanting to run 33's but I have seen people with less power and smaller tires break axles. Transmission I would go with a 4l80e. Gear ratio with 33s 410's should be enough with a some sort of locking diff. In the past ive used detroit locker but there are many other options out there. Ive heard good things about tom wood drive shafts. I have never used them before.