Fluid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this weekend I plan on dropping the pan, changing the filter and putting on a Mag-Hytec pan. I bought Valvoline Dexron VI fluid to put in once I put the new pan on. The fluid in there right now is FormulaShell which to my understanding is a Dex III / Merc fluid and since apparently the TC doesn't drain with the pan is it okay to put Dex VI in there without draining the TC? If not how do you drain the TC?

AgentYager

Reaction score
Yes, you can mix dex VI into a trans that normally would take dex III but you can't put dex III into a trans that normally takes dex VI.

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, you can mix dex VI into a trans that normally would take dex III but you can't put dex III into a trans that normally takes dex VI.

Yep, went ahead and dropped it tonight. Made a big mess but got everything done and the new pan on pretty happy with the results shifted and ran great I'll get a better idea of how much the Mag pan helps tomorrow when I drive to school.