Fleet to step side conversion questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
True, I'd just hate to see him yank a good factory pump that might have lasted another 20 years and drop a time bomb O Reilly's pump in and have it fail a year later.

I don't think any factory pump is going to last long at this point... the last of the GMT-400's like my 99 are 20 years old and I'm on my third pump, the original, an AC Delco purchased at the dealer, and now a Denso.

I would choose carefully when buying a pump, although, I admit, I don't know what's available for the early trucks.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The early trucks get just the pump. I recently put one into an early Vortec truck and that pump came straight from the dealer.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a fleetside bumper I plan to cut down for my stepside but probably won't get to it for a few months.
I thought about using a Milwaukee 18V metal circular saw and then paint the cut edge. My pad is good so I will reuse it
instead of cutting down the fleetside pad.

Leonidman63

Reaction score
True, I'd just hate to see him yank a good factory pump that might have lasted another 20 years and drop a time bomb O Reilly's pump in and have it fail a year later.

I worked for O'Reilly's for 10 years, buy an OE pump and don't fool with an off brand. I replaced mine with an AC Delco so I don't have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road, in the dark, where monsters roam and eat unwary drivers with broken down trucks.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
You can buy AC Delco pumps off of eBay, that’s where I got my last one and spent $40 shipped. I just looked up the part number and submitted it, and found what I was looking for.

You might wanna splurge for a fuel sending unit while you’re there.

As for the bed question, I can vouch for what everyone else has said in regards to bumper length, they are different.