ff 14 bolt oil capcity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the book says a little over 3 quarts mine only took 2 3/4 quarts. should i tip it up and add more or call it good?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
the book says a little over 3 quarts mine only took 2 3/4 quarts. should i tip it up and add more or call it good?

fill to bottom of hole and that's all you're gonna get in there no matter how much you squeeze.... as long as you are on level ground that is.

:)

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya it actually wasnt level the front was lower so i jacked it up level and got a full 3 quarts in there.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is a swapped in axle or if it is lifted and you adjusted the pinion angle by rewelding the perchs or using shims, you will generally get a little less in. In an extreme case on a jeep I did gears in, The owner over compensated for stupid high lift on a short wheel base by having the pinion rotated up so much that not enough fluid was in the diff and it starved the oil slinger and smoked the pinion bearings. If this is the case, I suggest parking on a slope with the front facing down or jacking the rear off the ground enough to get more fluid into the diff. It's kinda hard to do, but you need to visualize a straight line from the bottom of the fill hole to about middle of the pinion oil galley. if you perceive the imaginary straight line to point up facing foward (the fill hole is lower than the slinger) you might want to force some extra fluid in using the previously mentioned methods.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info. it is a swapped in axle but the pinion angle is still stock.