fan won't work on high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benualson

Reaction score
My blower fan won't work when it is on the highest setting, it will work on the 3 lower settings though. I am thinking about maybe trying to replace the blower motor resistor, any thoughts?

Snotrocket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your resistor was bad it would only work on high and not the other 3 settings. I would almost think it's the switch itself.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a high speed fan relay behind the glovebox, check that. If that dont work then its the switch

dkh_524

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine kinda does the same thing. it will work for awhile and then stop and then start working again doesn't matter what setting it is. i replaced my switch and that didn't do anything for me. my be its my resistor. i got quot from a Chevy dealer don't think it was that much from what i can remember think like 10 bucks, but one of the mechanics had one laying around and he gave it to me.

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had a similar issue with the second to highest speed and the ventilation would toggle from floor, defrost, vent on its own to whatever position it deemed important. New control unit solved all problems...

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced 4 of the switches that kept getting burnt..they had warranty at the Zone so who cares? well I finally got tired of replacing them and pulled the resistor. It had obviously gotten hot at some point....and apparently was burning the variable switch out. My advice-replace both at the same time..will cost about $40 and less than an hour of your time. Headache solved.

benualson

Reaction score
I replaced the blower motor resistor and the relay. Still doesn't work on High. So, you are saying I need to replace the switch (when you say switch, you are referring to the device that controls temp blend, fan speed, air directing & temp correct?)

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the blower motor resistor and the relay. Still doesn't work on High. So, you are saying I need to replace the switch (when you say switch, you are referring to the device that controls temp blend, fan speed, air directing & temp correct?)

You can replace just the speed switch on the controls. You don't have to replace the entire unit but you will have to pull it out of the dash to replace the speed switch....