Fan blower never turns off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Hey guys. Ever since i got my truck, my A/C never worked. I think the low pressure switch is bad, because the A/C blows ice cold when i jump the connector.

Here's my problem, though. The fan NEVER turns off. Literally. It's always blowing through the vents under the dash, even when the HVAC fuse is pulled out. Wtf could it be? It's extremely annoying on a hot day because it blows warm air under the dash and makes my feet even hotter in my boots.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's suppose to do that. Keeps fresh air coming into the vehicle in case you have an exhaust leak. If you want it to stop your only option is to unplug the blower motor.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, there's a few benefits to having the fan running on low low all the time.

Mainly, it gives a little positive pressure in the cab. This makes it less likely for things like dust to make it in around the lower door seals and helps keep exhaust fumes out. It also pulls a little heat out of the heater core as there is no bypass valve for the core.

My 98 is off when it's in "off", but I've always go it running on "low" pumping air over the windshield anyways.

Options to disable?

You could install a small switch in the fan ground line and flip it off when not using it. Keep it within reach of the driver as it would suck to have to stop and reach over to turn it one when you need it.

Another option (since the heat is your main concern) would be to install a heater core shut off/bypass valve. That way you can turn the heat off to the core but leave the fan running. Many OTR truck models have a heater core bypass incorporated for this very reason.

Now that I think of it, it's entirely likely that a bypass might even improve the AC effectiveness. Never looked at it that way before but that could be why OTR trucks have the bypass. I always knew it was there to help keep the cab cooler, never considered it might be to keep the air temp at ambient (instead of routing it through a hot heater core first) when it reaches the evap core.

Another use of a bypass valve is the ability to shut the heater core off should it develop a leak. You'll still be swapping the core out, but shutting a leaking one off affords you the ability to get it home or maybe still use it to get back and forth to work until the weekend arrives and you have time to swap it out. Heck, if it's summer it can give you a couple months to save up the money if you don't have it right away....

These are all interesting points and now it's got me thinking of a new way to incorporate my cooling system bypass filter assembly.....:)

I know the older square bodies with AC had the same always running scheme. One of their solutions was to bend over one of the resistor assembly tabs and that disabled the "always on" feature. However, I have no idea if that would work on an 88-94 truck. Use with caution if you decide to investigate this possibility.....you just might "let the smoke out"....

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The blower motor does not spin when it's off. It is just air being forced thru by the vehicle moving down the road.....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
The other option is to duct tape shut the heat vent at your feet during the summer.........or plug it with a piece of foam.
It is the pass thru ventilation feature of your truck. It sucks because you get hot summer heat at your feet and it's a few more degrees hotter because it's picking up heat radiating from the trucks metal surfaces.
You'll also get engine heat if your running a cowl style hood.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I have the same thing going on as Joseph... sucks hard in the summer to have that extreme hot air on your feet in an already hot ass truck. I just plug mine up in the summer months

sent from the eskanalierra lol

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sounds more and more like you early year truck gents need to install a heater core bypass valve.....:)

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Sounds more and more like you early year truck gents need to install a heater core bypass valve.....:)

I've never thought about it until you mentioned it.... now it's got my wheels turning.... should be pretty straight forward no?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I've never thought about it until you mentioned it.... now it's got my wheels turning.... should be pretty straight forward no?

You could do it with a simple shut off or you could use a bypass to the heater return line I should think....

could be a simple as this:

You must be registered for see images attach

in your heater feed line.

Shut it off in summer, open it in winter.

There's also OEM and aftermarket bypass valves that are everything from electrically operated to vacuum operated.

here's a vacuum one from a 70's era corvette:

You must be registered for see images attach

Even looks like it could be easily converted to cable operation for remote selection in the cab.

Just spitballin'.....

Last edited: