Factory radio help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

my 92 has a factory radio with the eq & tape deck. I had removed the ctsy fuse for a couple weeks whle i put new weather stripping on my door panels so that the interiour lights wouldnt stay on. Finaly got the interior back together on monday, replaced the fuse and everything seemed to work fine for a day but all of a sudden the factory radio would just cut out and go dark for a second, then come back on. happened a couple times but now the radio/eq doesnt work at all. none of the fuses are blown. this happened all in the span of 2 days.

I did install the flex-a-lite electric fan kit (awesome kit btw, highly recomend it) but i wasnt anywhere near the interior fuse panel and i wired the kit to the conv. center under the dash.

so is this radio thing somehow related or is this what the radio acts like as it dies? truck only has 85k miles on it and before i removed the ctsy fuse to work on the door panels i never had a single radio prob.

any thoughts/help appreciated.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Unhook the fan and see if it still does it. It sounds like you don't have enough power to keep the stereo running. That's why they do that. Disconnect the fan from your electrical system and I bet it quits.

Rusty Shacklefurd has spoken via tapatalk.

Reaction score
I thought the fan might have something to do with it too. But it is very strange: last night wheni posted this the radio had gone dark. I get in the truck to come to work and the radio is still dark. about 15 min into my drive I get on the highway, and after about 10 min on the high way the radio just comes back on. and now it still works. got to my office, turned off the truck, turned it back on and it still works. its like the battery has enough ppower to run everything except the radio and then perhaps after driving a bit the charge was enough to turn it back on.

I also got the truck warm enough at idle to get the e-fans to turn on. and the radio still worked fine. I cant seem to recreate how the radio goes dark with enough consistancy to figure out where to start looking for the prob.

could my alt not be putting out enough juice? all the other electricals work perfectly. no hesitation, windows, locks, ctsy lights....strange...

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
I thought the fan might have something to do with it too. But it is very strange: last night wheni posted this the radio had gone dark. I get in the truck to come to work and the radio is still dark. about 15 min into my drive I get on the highway, and after about 10 min on the high way the radio just comes back on. and now it still works. got to my office, turned off the truck, turned it back on and it still works. its like the battery has enough ppower to run everything except the radio and then perhaps after driving a bit the charge was enough to turn it back on.

I also got the truck warm enough at idle to get the e-fans to turn on. and the radio still worked fine. I cant seem to recreate how the radio goes dark with enough consistancy to figure out where to start looking for the prob.

could my alt not be putting out enough juice? all the other electricals work perfectly. no hesitation, windows, locks, ctsy lights....strange...

Is a little weird. But when your truck runs out of power, the stereo is usually the first thing that dies.

Rusty Shacklefurd has spoken via tapatalk.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually had this exact problem. you need to replace the radio "brain box" that sits under the dash. Some circuit boards or whatever in there have gone bad.

Reaction score
I actually had this exact problem. you need to replace the radio "brain box" that sits under the dash. Some circuit boards or whatever in there have gone bad.

Thx. I was thinking this too, just seems strange that it happens the exact time I put in the e-fans. owned the truck since sept and had zero issue. electrical work is not my strong suit so things like this always leave me a little puzzled. just not in a place to where i can start throwing parts at it hoping it fixes the issue. driving w/o music kind of sucks...

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear you. Make sure the fans are on a separate circuit. But turning them on may make a slight surge in the electrical system, shorting out the already weakened resistors and stuff in the brain box. Mine acted like that, just stopped working at funny times. Then finally it would work for 2 seconds when i had the key in IGN, then immediately die. punching the power button on the radio several times actually make it come on and work a second or two.

Reaction score
Ended up being the brain box. bought a refurbed one, poped it in and everything is back as it should be but damn if it wasnt weird that it went bad just as i put in my efans. thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Reaction score
I've had those brain boxes go bad pretty often...Usually I will grab one from a Cadillac or Buick radio without Bose for a better sound. Mine is also modified for an AUX input.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had those brain boxes go bad pretty often...Usually I will grab one from a Cadillac or Buick radio without Bose for a better sound. Mine is also modified for an AUX input.

How did you modify the box for aux input?

Status
Not open for further replies.