Factory Radio Help PLEASE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1990 Chevy 1500, I went to install the radio however, I do not see any of the plugs in which would fit. One set of wires are yellow and white and the other set consist of orange, yellow, brown, and a few other colors. Where would they go...I have 3 sets of wires under the dash that appear to go to nothing aswell. I am beyond confused and my patience is running thin...Could you please post pics of where the radio antenna plugs into the radio, where the two wires off the radio connect to and what the other 3 sets of wires go to it be sooooo great!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
The stock radio set up consists of three parts. The controller in the dash and the reciever/amp behind the dash. The third plug goes to the cassette deck. Without a schematic itz impossible to figure out. I trashed mine and installed a standard single din on the dash below the center vents.

Last edited:

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just tore apart my whole dash again and relized that I am missing the reciever/amp...... gotta love redneck cob-jobs! lol

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
yep. unless u gotta have the factory look. I would upgrade the stereo. The upgrade consists of a center vent piece with a single din adapter, and a cubby hole filler for the factory radio spot. I got mine from Crutchfield.com fer like $25 or $30 came with wiring adapter too.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have the center vent piece and im not entirely sure if i have the harness or not. the plugs are blue, white, and a black one. I am thinking that I will go with the alpine 9'' screen radio so I can even watch movies with the girl and have somethin unique.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Allrite, lets see here. These are the basic wires. All the others go to the control head,cassette deck, equalizer and other useless places.
The receiver plug is the largest.

The receiver is as follows;

Grd blk
pwer yel
Batt org
rf + lt grn
rf - dk grn
lr + tan
lf - gry
rr + dk blue
rr - lt blue
lr + brn
lr - yel

Last edited:

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Not as far as the truck wiring goes. The main wire harness is the only one u need to mess with. I believe it is the white one. whichever is the one with the wires from above. Is that Alpine a single din with a slide out screen?

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Alpine in my baby and I bought a plug and play your also going to have to buy a antenna extendor your going to love the sound compare to the stock radio.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea its the one with the screen that comes out and is all touch screen and i sure hope so and why do i need an antenna extender?