Extended cab side window head scratcher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtball

Reaction score
My 88 C3500 extended cab has a head scratcher where the pop out windows are concerned. The driver's side has the hinges that, I suppose, the windows glue into. It looks like a bolt goes through, but I figured that was for show.

The other side has... nothing. I never noticed until it tried to fall off the other day! Only the latch held it on. I had had it popped out numerous times.

My question is, how do I fix this? Is the passenger side missing hinges? Is there another way it attaches?

The interior was removed for a properly done color change before I bought it. Maybe they didn't put it back right?

As long as it's latched, it stays very securely in place.

Please help!

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Each hinge has a screw (inside the cab) that threads into that button looking thing on the outside which holds the glass to the hinge. Hard to explain, here’s a picture from eBay…

You must be registered for see images attach

Dirtball

Reaction score
The driver's side is like that; the passenger side has NOTHING. No hinges at all. So, the driver's side is correct, and I need hinges for the passenger side, correct?

Just don't want to order something I don't need.

Thanks for the response.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a picture of your window?

Mine (1998) has the setup like I posted above, but think that the hinges are integral (or at least riveted?) to the frame. I just don’t remember for sure. But I know that the earlier TBI trucks used a different frame than the later ones - those were glued to the body.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got a picture of your window?

Mine (1998) has the setup like I posted above, but think that the hinges are integral (or at least riveted?) to the frame. I just don’t remember for sure. But I know that the earlier TBI trucks used a different frame than the later ones - those were glued to the body.
The early trucks have separate hinges that rivet to the body behind the interior trim panel. In 1994 they switched to a frame that glues to the body and has the hinges built-in.

There were also the very early trucks (probably the type you're talking about) that on the base models didn't even have opening windows, just stationary glass glued to the body. I had an '88 ECLB base model parts truck like that. If you look close enough at the pic you may be able to tell there's no latch, no "buttons" on the glass where the screws come through the hinges, etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard