Exhaust Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92slestepside

Reaction score
What up fellas...

I recently purchased a 92 Sierra SLE 350 TBI. I plan on starting a build thread here soon.

I have a quick exhaust question. Ive started crossing out some of the items on the Recommended TBI MODS list on tbichips.com (AWSOME site with TONS of great info. I'm TRULY greatful) and have doubts of how some of my exhaust components have been installed.

Items purchased:
Flowmaster Y250300
Thunderbolt 3 cat
40 series (3" in dual 2.5" out dumped)

The y collector and cat where welded together as opposed to having a small piece (6-10") of pipe in between the two parts. Will this negatively affect the free flow that I was looking to achieve? Or will it function the same as if a pipe had been added? I guess my concern is that both sides of the exhaust meet at the y and then immediately after that is the cat and its screens or whatever's inside them. Figured an extra piece of pipe would have helped with the flow. Hope my question makes sense.

Looking for some peace of mind. Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Not an expert opinion, but I don't think it will make any difference on performance. A catalytic converter works better when it is as close to the engine as possible for the heat.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I think I'm in agreement with the other posters. The difference you're talking would be negligible at best.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Don't forget the flexpipe. You need one if you don't want to develop leaks down the road. I would look into using V-band clamps for it. Anything not stainless will rust within 2 years so I would sand prime and spray with high temp primer and paint. As far as flow, I don't see any problems.
I only speak from experience with exhausts and from now on I will never go anything but stainless and Vband clamps.