Exhaust Leak Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
The effects of backpressure or lack there of is always blown way out of porportion

Sent from the frito crumb covered Android via Tapatalk 2

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well for now it's probably gonna stay the way it is until I can find someone to weld me in a straight pipe where the cats were lol. I isn't really wanna spend $200+ replacing something I don't even want in the first place!

Can these cause a drop is gas mileage.? I'm only getting 11mpg and that seems kind of low compared to what all my buddies are getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got to doing some thinking and I can't justify spending $200+ on new cats that I don't even want anyways. So I'm thinking about hacking off the exhaust from in front of the cats back to right before the down stream o2 sensor and just clamping in a straight pipe. My question is what size piping is it? I've been doing a lot of researching and it looks like if I get the right kind of clamp, not u bolt, they won't leak. Also does the flex pipe leak? I haven't had a chance to crawl under and check it out yet to see if I'm going to need any of it yet or not.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, DO NOT USE FLEX PIPE!!!!!! That stuff is absolute garbage, I've never been able to understand why anyone would use it on a vehicle. If your going to remove the cats, and replace it with straight pipe; don't use clamps!! Weld the joints so you don't have leaks under the cab pumping Carbon Monoxide in the cab.

As for what size pipe you'll need, just slip under your truck and measure the OD diameter of the pipe for and aft of the cat(s). And remember with exhaust, you want the front section on the tubing to slip over the Y pipe, and the rear section to slip into the intermediate pipe.

You can get cats much cheaper then 200+, check out thunderbolt cats ; you can get them from $50 a piece IIRC. I hope that helps clears up a few questions for you!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The only reason you would want to use flex pipe would be if your exhaust went through the body, like through the rocker, or something like a stack. And not all flex pipe is created equal.

-Via Mobile-

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
The only reason you would want to use flex pipe would be if your exhaust went through the body, like through the rocker, or something like a stack. And not all flex pipe is created equal.

-Via Mobile-

That's what my buddy used to route his stacks into the bed

Sent from the frito crumb covered Android via Tapatalk 2

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've found high flow cats for about $100 a piece. That's where I was getting the $200 from.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like I said I just assume cut them off but I can't weld.. That's where I was getting at the wide band clamps for the exhaust and just straight piping it