Exhaust Leak Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I took my new 97 ecsb sierra to the shop today to get my exhaust leak fixed. It's leaking right after the last catalytic converter. It also has true duals by the way. But anyways I have a small rant! Guys if your truck has a problem please FIX it up don't F*%$ it up like my previous owner did!! If you have an exhaust leak, especially around a catalytic converter, pay $50 to get it welded from a shop instead of $5 for exhaust putty. Because chances are it wont work and you'll be buying a new catalytic converter on down the road because they won't be able to weld it because of the putty!!

So anyways I need to get a new catalytic converter. I would really prefer not to and just cut it out.. Is there a way I can do this without throwing a code? It's just the back conveter?

OR

What's a cheap High flow converter I can buy? and what size?

Is there any gains to getting rid of the converter vs a high flow one? They told me $125-$175 to get it fixed depending on what they had to do to it which sounded reasonable to me but I wanted to get my own converter if I have to.

Thanks guys!

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By the way I don't have emission testing and I don't have a visual inspection either.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I searched aroun and can't find anyone who will weld it up without cats so what's a cheap high flow cat I can use? Should I replace both of them or just the 1? The truck has 126k on it but they were hard miles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Magnaflow is the best flowing cat and not overly priced either, ran a set on my Lightning for awhile when I was running the Kenne Bell. They came on the truck when I bought it so I thought I'd give em a try before I ditched them. And replace them both, your gonna throw off your back pressure on each side if you don't since the Maggy lows so much better than the OEM junk.

Best thing to do would be just to find a person/friend who has a wire welder at home and do it yourself and forget the cats.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard people say that the vortecs won't run as well if you take the cats off because of the loss of back pressure? Is this true?

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang I didn't even think about that..

It would deffinately be cheaper if I did that.. I have a wire welder, just don't know how to weld for crap lol. I got some buddy's though.

I've had some people tell me not to take the cats off of a vortec bc they need the extra back pressure. Is this true?

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Dang I didn't even think about that..

It would deffinately be cheaper if I did that.. I have a wire welder, just don't know how to weld for crap lol. I got some buddy's though.

I've had some people tell me not to take the cats off of a vortec bc they need the extra back pressure. Is this true?

Naw that's bs. Now don't get me wrong, small blocks need back pressure but the factory exhaust is pitiful and choked up, removing the cats will just free up a little backpressure and prolly make a HP or 2 lol. Removing them wont be enough to hurt ur backpressure.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard people say that the vortecs won't run as well if you take the cats off because of the loss of back pressure? Is this true?

:lol: :nono: mine runs great without them. Still gets the same fuel mileage as one with out them. There is no issue from removing them except a constant ses light...

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score

No, disregard any information giving by someone who makes that statement. They're speaking through internet hearsay without any self earned knowledge.