Excessive clutch pedal freeplay fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This part, GM #14094900, was used in a lot of GM vehicles.
From Fieros, to early '80's to late '90's Corvettes, plus '80's to '00+ (?) Chevy, Pontiac, Buicks, & Olds's with a stick.
And GMT400's.
It's a basic standard generic one-size-fits-all, off the shelf part. Gotta love GM for that kinda stuff. Their frugal methods of using one part in many applications!
Should be available @ any dealership.
Some listings that I've found online say that this is a discontinued part. I don't know why, cause I just walked up to the stealership parts desk & had 2 in a matter of minutes.
'Dorman' also manufactures this part, under their 'HELP' line. It's the first design, though, so definitely pick up 2! Most, if not all auto parts suppliers should be carrying this due to the various number of different vehicles that use this part.
Corvette Action Central apparently has a service bulletin listing a permanent fix for the prob of this part failing.
But I can't find it! I've gone through 640 service bulletins (32 pages!) on that site looking for that fix!
My peepers are bleeding!!!
I would love to find out what that fix is! If someone does come across that, please post it up.

Here's something that I did learn in the interim.
If your truck has a tendency to eat these bushings on a regular basis, the prob is NOT with the bushing!
Excessive consumption is an indication that the clutch slave is on it's way out, if it isn't near death already.
Time to replace it. Along with a new bushing, of course.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck recently developed a good bit of free play. Took it to a shop and they couldn't find anything wrong. At the first start up of the day, the pedal goes to the floor with almost no pressure. Gears are difficult to find if at all. The condition greatly improves after driving a mile or so. There is no grinding or slipping of the clutch. What should I check/ replace? ( other than the bushing mentioned above)

Thanks,
Eric

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is bleeding the slave cylinder done in the same manner as bleeding brakes? Obviously using the clutch pedal vs the brake and opening the valve on the slave vs the brake system Also where do I add fluid as it gets low? Do I use the same brake fluid in the brake master cylinder?

Thanks,
Eric

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bled the slave cylinder today. Got a very small volume of fluid out on the first "cycle" of pumping the pedal and opening/closing the bleeder valve but that's it. Must have repeated this 20+ times and nothing came out. Fluid level in the master cylinder did not fluctuate at all. No lines or reservoirs show signs of leaking. Pedal now has absolutely NO RESISTANCE. Would it be correct to assume that my clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder need to be replaced?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Do the one on the firewall first. Easiest to get to, & tends to die more frequently than the other one. Cheaper too.
Can be a bit of a bear to reinstall. Kinda have to twist the new one around one way & the other to work it into the hole on the firewall. The little clip that has to be installed is a pain, too.
I had better results with a helper.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turned out to be a bad slave and master cylinder. Back on the road. Thanks for your help!