Excessive clutch pedal freeplay fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Shifter guys. Have you noticed an excessive amount of freeplay in the pedal? Sometimes it's O.K., sometimes the pedal has about an inch of nothing in the initial throw? Noticed that it the pedal doesn't dis-engage the clutch until the pedal is almost on the floor? Bled the slave cylinder, but that didn't work? Me too!
Here's the problem. This little bushing...

You must be registered for see images attach

This fits between the pin on the push rod & the pedal arm itself. You can see that one of the tabs is broken on that one in the second pic. It gets worse. This is what it'll look like when you get it out.

GM has been aware of this. So, it's been redesigned. This is what the new style looks like.

No more outer cage, & the design is quite a bit beefier.

Compared to the old style.

There is a procedure to the install. Sorry no pix. Couldn't get a decent pic with an Iphone, but I can explain it.
The bushing has to go through the hole in the clutch pedal arm FIRST. This allows the small tabs to collapse as it goes through that hole. THEN the pin on the rod goes into the bushing. This allows the tabs to expand as the thick part of the rod pin is inserted, then collapse again as the tabs fit into the groove on the pin.
If you try to put the bushing on the pin first, then into the hole on the pedal, the little locking tabs WILL break.
A tip. DO NOT buy the 'Dorman' part. It has not been redesigned & in time, you'll end up with the same prob.

Here's the GM part number.

Replacing this part, even as preventative maintenance, will keep you from having to limp your truck home with the clutch pedal/push rod McGyvered like this...

It's about a $5.00 part. Cheap insurance just to carry a spare in the glove box.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good timing, my truck started doing this on my drive in this morning. How long did it take to change it?

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found this. Did you have to loosen the pedal or could you just move the clutch rod off to the side?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Make sure you have the new bushing before you do this, 'cause you will have to break the old one to get it out, if it isn't already. Mine was. Get in there with a razor knife, & cut those little pins with the lock tabs & that cage thingie. Those are on the outer side of the clutch pedal arm, towards the door. Without those, the push rod pin will just about fall out. Shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes!

It's part #4 in that dia.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to check mine. Lately it's been squeaking when I press the clutch pedal.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

hydroblade

Reaction score
hate to bring this thread back up from the dead but is there anywhere i can get them online and if there is if someone could find me a link to the part number 9 on the picture as well it would be so helpful