Ever have 1 problem solved then another pops up, of course

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my idle seems to be subsiding (I hope so anyways) but now upon acceleration with anything beyond just enough throttle to get moving with traffic the motor seems to want to go but doesn't until it picks up some speed then starts charging ahead almost like it should in the first place. Mind you I don't expect a ass hauler because these 454's were dogs anyways but I do think it has more than it shows.
Im so sick of screwing with this crap, seems to me its in the TBI unit which I have grown to despise. All engine managements have been replaced, TPS, IAC, CTS, vacuum leaks checked for, timing checked, fuel pressure checked, new plugs etc..
I know Ill be told to get a scan tool butt Im limited on knowledge for that, and it has become apparent to me I'm not the only one who doesn't like these TBI units as I cant find anyone who really knows them in this little burg :(
Oh well the quest continues

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Ill be told to get a scan tool butt Im limited on knowledge for that
Sorry but, you'll need to see how the timing and INT/BLM are acting. If you had a WBO2 you could even see the AFR during acceleration. It's good to hear your idle is better though.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry but, you'll need to see how the timing and INT/BLM are acting. If you had a WBO2 you could even see the AFR during acceleration. It's good to hear your idle is better though.

Aw hell Pete, all greek to me and I cant find a soul who wants to or has the tools and/or knowledge to screw with this problem. They all do the usual like I said and then scratch their ******* heads. I gotta find someone who can diagnose this sooner or later if it kills me. I just cannot accept that this motor wont run like it should damnit
How far is Tonopah again lol.
Bobby V

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the ability to see live data and be willing to help but I dont think your near me

Dogged365

Reaction score
Sounds like its starting off in 2nd gear.....manual shift it out of 1st..see if truck preforms normal....didn’t see any mention of check engine light....

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Georgia is a wee bit out of range but that's what I need, someone who can do other than what Ive already had done.
"Playing with TBI" (Pete) says he could help me out that way but he's in Tonopah AZ which is stretch aways also, sucks I haven't found anyone in this little town that know this stuff, but Ill keep trying, gotta be someone !!!
I have the ability to see live data and be willing to help but I dont think your near me
Don't think Im starting in second gear, it does the same thing when crusin at say 40mph and you gas it, just seems as if its holding back then starts building speed, very weird but thanks for the help
Sounds like its starting off in 2nd gear.....manual shift it out of 1st..see if truck preforms normal....didn’t see any mention of check engine light....

So what do I ask a repair shop or mechanic to check and how/what does he need to check whats happening, specifically so I don't look any dumber than I already do. :33:
My truck is turning out rather nice so if I can get it running correctly it will suffice until I can talk momma into that new ZZ454 I want :cool:
Bobby V

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
What year is your truck? Does it have EGR valve? Does it have odb1 connection u can use a wire and connect two of the ports and the light will blink to give you the engine codes...

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok well lets start with basics. Like mentioned above try 1st to make sure its not taking off in 2nd. And also do you have a check engine light. Tbi is also picky about fuel pressure has it been tested to see if its within specs

Edit: went back and reread 1st post I see fp was checked . and I see timing was checked was EST wire disconnected when timing was checked?

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Georgia is a wee bit out of range but that's what I need, someone who can do other than what Ive already had done.
"Playing with TBI" (Pete) says he could help me out that way but he's in Tonopah AZ

if googles right, 150 miles, 3hrs, imo that's a sweet deal to get it resolved. Road trip with momma :)