Ethanol vs Non-Ethanol Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
If you use ethanol gas and your truck/car/boat sits for months you better put fuel stabilizer in the tank, or you will have problems.

That's a partial farce and I feel needs to be elaborated on.

Will Ethanol hurt your fuel lines after being stored for 6 months? Absolutely not, will it damage already weak and internally worn RUBBER fuel lines, when stored for a year plus? Absolutely.

Ethanol is less susceptible to water vaporization in the fuel due to alcohol content.

Considering most vehicles went away from rubber fuel lines in the mid-to-late 80's, this becomes less and less of an issue.

For the most part "Ethanol ate my fuel lines up" is simply an old timer's grab at any sort of reason to be afraid of the corn gas. (I'm not saying you are, Wil-e)

My suburban is tuned for E85 and I run Ignite Red E90 in my shortbed.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 2003 Yamaha F90 outboard w 4 carbs.Installed a water separator and used stabilizer w the E gas. I changed the filter every year and still had trouble w cranking and performance all the time.4 years ago I started using non E along w stabilizer and my motor cranks and runs better than it ever did.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who knows for sure today what your actually getting at the pump? My Dad had a 1976 Bonneville and enlarged the gas tank fill hole to accept leaded fuel. He refused to get on board with unleaded fuel. I run premium no ethanol in my vehicles and my lawn mowers. The local shop that sells lawn mowers said never use it. Why would anyone use it? I don't drive a Prius so opinions do vary.