engine question 6.0 into a 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nnyrebel13

Reaction score
I have a 2001 1500hd with a 6.0 but the body is shot. I am looking at a 1999 3500 with a 5.7 high miles with some possible motor issues. Can I swap the 6.0 into the 99? If so is it plug and play or do I need some modifications? They are different body styles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're talking about going from a Vortec 350 SBC to an LS motor, not a plug and play endeavor, but it has been done about a thousand times. Look at the numerous LS swap threads on here and see if you think you can handle it. You'll need to decide what computer you're going to run with it, what transmission, how you want to wire it, if you want to keep the fuel system stock or go aftermarket. It's definitely something that can be done without spending a crazy amount and without a professional (for the most part), but it's not a drop in solution.

nnyrebel13

Reaction score
I thought the 6.0 was a vortec. I was told the 5.7 distributor jumped a tooth. The 5.7 has 250k miles on it. I could sell the 6.0 and fix the 5.7. Worse case I get a long block down the road and fix the 5.7. I guess the 3500 has a new trans as of last year. Not sure if it was new or rebuilt trans.

Gnasty1521

Reaction score
Do a search for performing an "LS SWAP." You sound like you need to do some research before making this happen.

Largest items are a computer and standalone harness.

It can get pricey if you don't plan it out right.

Vortec 350 is based on the SBC that goes back to the 60s, and in 99 they put LS motors in everything except the bigger trucks. The 2001 trucks all had LS based small blocks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

nnyrebel13

Reaction score
Do a search for performing an "LS SWAP." You sound like you need to do some research before making this happen.

Largest items are a computer and standalone harness.

It can get pricey if you don't plan it out right.

Vortec 350 is based on the SBC that goes back to the 60s, and in 99 they put LS motors in everything except the bigger trucks. The 2001 trucks all had LS based small blocks.

Money is something I don't have a lot of at the moment. The 99 is in alot better shape than the 01. I may just look into fixing the 99 and sell what little good parts are in the 01 and save up in case I have to long block it. Not a daily driver anyways. Just for hauling garden tractor pullers semi local in the summer.

Gnasty1521

Reaction score
My swap was about $3500, plus the drivetrain.

Computer and harness and tune - $1100 (had to buy another computer and harness for conversion to cable)

Mounts- $150
Efans - $250
Fuel Lines and Connectors - $100
Driveshaft Shortening - $250
Shorty Headers - $150
Custom Y pipe and Exhaust - $600
Misc parts and fluids - $1000+

Could be done for cheaper, but could be more expensive without a ton of searching. Swaps tend to nickel and dime you to death and it adds up incredibly fast. Some people have pulled it off for what seems impossibly low figures.

nnyrebel13

Reaction score
I'm going to talk to my uncle tonight. He was a mechanic at a chevy dealer. See what his thoughts are.

Marcos A

Reaction score
I just recently did a backwards swap - my truck was an 05 1500 with a 4.3 DBC that I installed an LS 5.3 from a 99 1500 also DBC. Besides the obvious "required" items that needed to be swapped such as motor mounts, Harness and computer - everything else was basically Plug n Play and not too terribly hard to do (and this was my 1st ever motor swap) - but yeah I agree with the others - I would do some researching on what all is involved. I did research for months to 1. ensure that I had all the parts that I needed to buy in order to make it as easy as possible and 2. so that I would not get caught up in any AHH-HAA moments. Good luck.

And now I am doing research on taking out the 5.7 TBI motor and replacing it with an LS. It never stops.

nnyrebel13

Reaction score
I've decided to keep the free 2001 with the 6.0. The 99 3500 will cost too much for me to put on the road right now after buying it. Just going to fix the 01 as I get money. Going to the junkyard tomorrow to see what they have for fenders. Trying to sell a pulling tractor right now. After that I'll order the rockers and cab corners. Flatbed will be cheap to replace the box, my cousin has a sawmill.