Engine and Transmission R&R question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Hopwood

Reaction score
On my 99' K1500 I needed to remove and replace the engine and transmission. Both replacements are ready to install.

How do you prefer to install both of these? Individually? Transmission first, engine first? For some reason I'm thinking that you'd install the engine and transmission together using a crane. But for some reason it doesn't quite seem ideal.

I don't have a lift or hoist. I removed both separately. to remove the transmission I lifted the chassis up and set the front on jacks.

I've done this on a 95' C1500 but the 4x4 drivetrain is new to me.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's kinda nice to install engine and trans as a unit. Downside is that the vehicle has to be sky-high to get the transmission to angle-under the firewall; and you'd better have the tailhousing plugged or there's gonna be fluid all over the ground. A 4x4 is even worse, with the transfer case hanging off the back of the transmission.

Which also means the engine hoist can't be one of the cheap and common Communist junkers with a too-short boom and a too-weak hydraulic cylinder. The typical "2-ton" engine hoist is good for about 500 pounds when the boom is fully extended, and even then it's not long enough.

Unless you've got better equipment than the typical home shop, you're almost certainly going to have to install them separately. Whether you install trans first or engine first, is more personal preference. I don't think it's going to matter with an automatic. With a manual, stabbing the input shaft into the clutch is gonna be near-impossible with the transmission installed. Put the engine in first, then align the transmission afterwards.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just like to add that you make absolutely sure beyond a doubt that you have the torque converter seated correctly.
It is possible to bolt it to the flexplate but not have it in right.
If that happens, it will shred the trans pump as soon as you start it.
You can put it in with trans and engine together if you pull the front clip apart but it still requires a decent hoist because of the reach and weight involved.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We've done 2 full 4x4 drivetrain pulls recently. One was an automatic and the other was a manual. The easiest way is to pull the front core support. Both trucks were on the ground. Yes we were on a hoist for un hooking everything but the tranny was just sitting on the unbolted crossmember until it was time to pull. If all goes well then we'll be putting one back in this weekend.

David Hopwood

Reaction score
Thank you all for your reply's. For some reason it seemed like such a pita to pull the transmission and transfer case. I bet either in my laziness or ignorance or what the pubs say, I did it the hard way. Usually AWD systems have been pretty easy for me, I need to spend more time familiarizing myself with 4X4's as well.

Part of what I'm looking for is if there is a benefit to install one component first therefore making it easier to install and adjust the other or visa versa.

Thanks again and I'll do my best to update with my progress on this.