Engine accessory drives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am swapping a 95 engine into my 89.
The 89 always had a squeeky belt, new belt new tensioner didn't help. It has the one piece steel bracket that goes over/around the timing cover.
The 95 replacement engine has the two piece aluminum bracket set with an idler and tensioner.

Is the 95 style less prone to squeeling?

As long as I am taking these parts off, I would like to put the best back on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Neither are particularly prone to squealing by design, but the early one-piece steel setup IS prone to cracking near the power steering pump. I'd switch to the aluminum setup. Its only real downfall is you must be careful to never turn the A/C compressor bolts from the front; there are very small tabs in the bracket to keep them from turning. They're meant for you to only remove the nuts from the back. If you turn the bolts up front you'll usually break the bracket.

Oh and I'll add, only use the OEM-style Gates tensioner. The cheapo store brand ones are notorious for terrible noises when the A/C is on as they will oscillate wildly even when brand new. They sound very much like a failing A/C compressor.

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 89 always had a squeeky belt, new belt new tensioner didn't help.
Is your tensioner indicator in the correct position? Maybe you need a little shorter belt? In this picture mine is a little loose but, I don't have any squealing so, I left it alone.

You must be registered for see images attach

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will recheck tensioner range marks. I had put new on a while back and it was in the range. I don't think serp belts stretch like V belts. I do not use cheap parts, NAPA top lines only. My old 88 had the same issue 20 years ago, and our 88 at work is doing the same. My 89 had done it even before I got it. I added a new belt and tensioner because the old tensioner was jumping alot. I don't remember my 90 doing it.
I never had any squealing with my 98 over 10 years of use and my daughters 99 Tahoe does not squeal.
Seems to be an issue on the earlier ones in my experience.