Electrical System Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wimmerk

Reaction score
Starting about 2 months ago I noticed that under any sort of load, even just turn the radio on, the alternator/battery gauge would drop which it has never done before. I figured the alternator was going out since it had been about 8+ years since the last one was replaced. I had it checked and ended up replacing the alternator as the voltage regulator was going out. Less than a week later the gauge was doing the same thing, this time on a road trip the truck kept dying on me. I was able to get it back to my home and checked the alternator thinking I may have gotten a bad one. Turns out the battery was around 120 Amps out of the 800 its rated for, so I replaced the battery. Now after two weeks on the new battery it is starting to do the same thing. I have no clue why. Its almost like there is a dead short somewhere just drawing massive amounts of power even when the truck is off. Anyone have any ideas on how to check for such things or any ideas in general? I have been driving this truck for over 6 years and have taken countless road trips where we have the AC blasting, CB radio and regular radio running, and cell phones and a GPS all running at the same time and it never seems to drop below the middle mark.

Thanks for the help

1998 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 Extended Cab, 5.0 V8