Electric fan swap... how is cooling/efficiency?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at doing the electric fan swap on my 92 Burb... primarily used for towing

I have read good things about the improved power... but how is the cooling, better/worse/same? Does it improve fuel economy at all?

What are the pros/cons to doing the job?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly I would not even bother, not worth the work or small gain im MPG from not spinning the clutch fan, but a good working clutch fan does not suck much power and cools much better and is more reliable.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly I would not even bother, not worth the work or small gain im MPG from not spinning the clutch fan, but a good working clutch fan does not suck much power and cools much better and is more reliable.

Definitely without a doubt more reliable....thats what matters most to me.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
especially when towing a heavy load. I like my e fan but I don't tow or haul much heavy stuff and even if I take a long trip I still bring my clutch fan in case.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i believe flexalite states they do not reccomend thier pricey kits for tow vehichels.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think factory offered an option for electric fan to AID in cooling on vehicles for towing, like a tow package, now with that said...

I'm with them. I rather have a flex fan and know it's cooling compared to a stock clutch fan, but if I have a clutch fan and it works I use it.

I considered using a e-fan due to cleaning things up under hood, but was scared for reliability, and such. Thing is new vehicles only have e-fans so they must be reliable?

It would definately not hurt to have a back up clutch or flex fan for sure. For towing I think I'd leave it alone, for everyday beater or daily, maybe do an e-fan, weekend toy etc. For a hardcore offroader I think I would worry about it messing up due to water and dirt.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
I have towed with my LS1 fans and i've towed quite a bit and my temp gauge always rides exactly where it should.