egr emmisions monitor will not go into ready state

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sunlitcomet

Reaction score
all the others go green except egr. for the life of me i dont know why there is nothing on the net about. the best tech data i have on it is the service manual and even the factory dont really say anything about it.

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what you mean. Ill google it..... and come back

Update: Have you unhooked the battery recently? Like shortly before this happened?

Also, Have you checked for codes with an OBDII scanner?
If an EGR related code comes up, pull off your EGR valve and look at it. If its caked up you can clean it with brake cleaner and a brush, or buy a new one.

Research:
Readiness Monitors check
Read through this PDF.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/Misc/faq/obdii_motorists092005.pdf

These monitors are like self checks of each emissions component (EGR, O2 sensor, etc) within the OBDII system. These non-continuous monitors are considered Ready until either DTC's have been cleared with a scan tool or if battery power has been disconnected, then the monitors will reset back to Not Ready.

In order to get the monitors set back to Ready, the vehicle must be driven through a drive cycle, which is a combination of city/highway driving for a set period of time. This drive cycle relearns the OBDII system and rechecks all of the emissions component's individual systems. As each system completes its own self test, the monitor will set back to Ready.

Last edited:

Hingstboy

Reaction score
not to steal your thread but i built a motor and deleted my egr and now my truck has been running rich ever sense, would i need to do something to the comp so it runs leaner?

sunlitcomet

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what you mean. Ill google it..... and come back

Update: Have you unhooked the battery recently? Like shortly before this happened?

Also, Have you checked for codes with an OBDII scanner?
If an EGR related code comes up, pull off your EGR valve and look at it. If its caked up you can clean it with brake cleaner and a brush, or buy a new one.

Research:
Readiness Monitors check
Read through this PDF.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/Misc/faq/obdii_motorists092005.pdf

These monitors are like self checks of each emissions component (EGR, O2 sensor, etc) within the OBDII system. These non-continuous monitors are considered Ready until either DTC's have been cleared with a scan tool or if battery power has been disconnected, then the monitors will reset back to Not Ready.

In order to get the monitors set back to Ready, the vehicle must be driven through a drive cycle, which is a combination of city/highway driving for a set period of time. This drive cycle relearns the OBDII system and rechecks all of the emissions component's individual systems. As each system completes its own self test, the monitor will set back to Ready.

It has been in a not ready state for 7 months now and the passages are very clear. And in those months it has plenty of cycles and oh 8000 miles or so.

sunlitcomet

Reaction score
wow, while about 70-75% of the mileage issue has been resolved it it is hard to believe i am the only one with experience on this stuff. the remaining issues will be resolved in a few months time. and i can get my mileage back up to 18+.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
How are you trying to reset the EGR Monitor?

The easiest way I have found is to cruise at hi way speeds for about 5 minutes, then turn on the hazzards, take your foot off the gas and let the truck slow down to below 20 MPH on it's own. Don't touch the brakes.