ECLB - Bed Cap Project - Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a front-totaled '93 Tahoe and a flood-totaled '94 Suburban (both picked clean, so no, there are no parts left :) )
Being automotive & industrial fabricators / mechanics and avid outdoorsmen, Dad and I are coming up with an idea to make the suburban roof section a removable top for my ECLB for use during hunting / fishing / boating trips. I know the length isn't the same and we'd have to add a few feet to the front to fit a LB. but an insulated, steel and glass top that I could make for free would beat the heck out of a $1200 fiberglass one. I figure it's also a good way to use up some sawzall blades and since there getting downsized for the scrap bin anyway why not let a part of them live on..

Couple obstacles I need to figure out before the Sawzall and camera come out however...

-in theory wouldn't the lower tailgate (flip-down) section fit right into the bed? I may make removable brackets to switch between the P/U and SUV gate.
- The Suburban has the "barn" style doors, using the same switchable bracket setup, do you think it'd be plausible to make those work w/o too much bodywork?

I'm measuring and drawing as we speak, but I wanted to get some more creative input and see if perhaps I'm not the first nutball to try this..

Thanks!