Dually Hauler from Dallas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Texas has two different vintage registration schemes

Classic: you pay for plates every year and get a safety inspection every year. You can use the vehicle however you want. There is no mileage restriction. You can have a modern plate that says "CLASSIC" on it, or you can run Year Of Manufacture license plates. You have to run the registration decal on the windshield. There is also a bolt-on or stick-on sticker for the expiration date that goes on the rear license plate. To get this, bring a copy of the insurance and Texas form VTR-850 to the DMV office.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other vintage registration scheme:

Antique: you pay for plates every five years and is only inspected if the vehicle came from out of state, then there are no more inspections. There are restrictions on vehicle use, "...used solely for exhibition, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest; will not be used for daily transportation except when routine maintenance is needed; and will not carry advertising". There is no mileage restriction. You can have a modern plate that says "ANTIQUE" on it, or you can run Year Of Manufacture license plates. There is not a window sticker for registration. There is a bolt-on or stick-on sticker for the expiration date that goes on the rear license plate, and you only have to run the rear plate. To get this, bring a copy of the insurance and Texas for VTR-54 to the DMV office.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Antique: you pay for plates every five years and is only inspected if the vehicle came from out of state, then there are no more inspections. There are restrictions on vehicle use, "...used solely for exhibition, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest; will not be used for daily transportation except when routine maintenance is needed; and will not carry advertising". There is no mileage restriction. You can have a modern plate that says "ANTIQUE" on it, or you can run Year Of Manufacture license plates. There is not a window sticker for registration. There is a bolt-on or stick-on sticker for the expiration date that goes on the rear license plate, and you only have to run the rear plate. To get this, bring a copy of the insurance and Texas for VTR-54 to the DMV office.
I know there used to be a mileage restriction on the antique plate (as I mentioned earlier, that particular Burb wasn't driven much and wouldn't have passed inspection, but had to be currently licensed to be parked in front of the house). So that's why it got those plates. Thanks for clarifying everything though!

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know there used to be a mileage restriction on the antique plate (as I mentioned earlier, that particular Burb wasn't driven much and wouldn't have passed inspection, but had to be currently licensed to be parked in front of the house). So that's why it got those plates. Thanks for clarifying everything though!
Sorry, that's incorrect. I've been driving Antique and Classic vehicles for 40 years and there has never, in that period, been a mileage cap by Texas.
OTOH, if you have classic insurance, many companies will cap the mileage. But that's not the State, that's insurance.

The wives tale told by the old guys was always some version of a mileage restriction. I heard it over and over through the years. But it's inaccurate.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Oklahoma once your vehicle is over 12(?) years old the plates are only $27.50 a year. My insurance on WCJr is under $100 every 6 months. It's not worth it to chase an antique tag. It's so cheap that we tag our race car just in case the trailer breaks and we have to drive the car on the roads, which has happened.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the antique plate is what i plan for next year when eligible, 5 years for 40 bucks, sign me up. I must have missed the part about only needing a back plate, that is nice. not the worst for trucks but on some cars a front plate is so hideous

Last edited: