Dually Hauler from Dallas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't had the truck at home to work on it. I tried to use the Ford spherical-joint sway bar end links. But both the RWD and 4WD versions were too long. So I punted and ordered a set of standard end links. Those arrived today and will go in this weekend, but I -still- won't be bringing the truck home.
It turns out a great alignment shop, Fifth Gear Automotive, is opening a branch late next week near my work. Instead of having another shop half-ass the alignment, I'm waiting until they are open to get the truck aligned, and -then- I'll bring it home.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, instead of working on the truck, I'm just figuring things out and buying parts.

Today I hit up a Treasure Yard that I hadn't been to before. And found a couple parts I had been looking for.

First is the Early NBS center console.
You must be registered for see images attach

This one is a unicorn! First, it's actually gray instead of the sort of neutral putty color most of them are. And it's from a low trim level Suburban that did NOT have seat AC ducts run through the console. That means that it has the front blanking plate and the rear cap with only cupholders and a cubby and not AC bezels, AC controls or rear stereo controls. But, it had issues and it took parts from FIVE consoles to make this one.

First, the hinge was broken, and it's integral to the liner. And to remove the gray lid from the liner you have to split the lid and pull the hinge pin. Splitting the lid means breaking tabs, as it's glued and plastic welded together. I was able to open up the corner just enough that I could reach in with some needle nose pliers and pull out the hinge pin, separating the lid from the liner. I found a perfect liner that didn't even have a notch where the latch wore on it. I separated that perfect liner and lid and repeated the split corner and needle nose pliers trick to reinsert the hinge pin. I had to put some english on the lid to get it lined up to the liner so the pin could be inserted all the way.

The second issue was that the clip that holds the rear cupholder up was broken. These clips are hard to remove without damaging the clip. Removing the rear cap from the console will give you a good shot at it. And it's the same clip on both the Early NBS and Late NBS consoles. I found a good one in a ratted out console, pulled off the back cap and slipped the clip off. It clicked right into the gray console.

The third thing was minor. Three of the rubber bumpers on the lid were gone. I found another early console with a broken hinge, separated the two lid halves and extracted a few rubber bumpers. I haven't installed them yet, but they should pop in the holes with a little lube. I was also able to extract a few cupholder fingers from that console and slid them into place in the gray console cupholder.

Looking around, I also found the rubber liners for the front cupholder and nick-nack holder in another truck. And by pure luck found a single liner for one of the fold down cupholders that drop out of the back of the console. Now I just need one more for the rear.

I spent way too long in the yard piecing together this console, but it's been hard to find a non-AC gray version of this console.

And I wanted this console because I think it's the widest, and best console you can use with the stock seats. I was originally thinking of using some OBS Outpost brackets and installing some 2021 seats and a 2018 console, but after trying out those seats and knowing how comfy the GMT400 seats are, I decided to keep the original seats and restore them. That meant I'd need a different console. My truck has the original rattling, impracticable, unusable, gray console in it. I've even got the original cupholder insert. But it's junk and needs to be replaced. I saw a couple Youtube videos on using the GMT800 console in the GMT400, and decided that's what I'd like. And I bought one online without good photos. It's the right console, but it's from a dark gray Graphite interior and not a light Gray interior. It would require painting. And I'll be painting some dash parts, so it wouldn't have been a big deal. But finding a real light gray console meant I didn't have to paint it. I've got the bracket on the graphite console that I'll modify to mount the light gray console in the Dually.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other things I came home with are an Olds Bravada fog light switch, which might be able to be used in the horizontal blanks, or in another position. I also found a good condition 1998 Owners Manual. And I picked up a set of OE GM Extended Cab gray floor mats. The drivers side has a ragged edge and is worn pretty smooth in the center, but there aren't any holes or rips. They're filthy, but look like they will clean up.

A closeup of what those Bravada fog light switches look like.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the Bravada switch doesn't pan out, there's always the Tahoe Z71, Yukon Denali, and Escalade switches out there. . . somewhere. Stupid me didn't grab the switch when I liberated a Z71 of its factory fogs on my last trip out.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the Bravada switch doesn't pan out, there's always the Tahoe Z71, Yukon Denali, and Escalade switches out there. . . somewhere. Stupid me didn't grab the switch when I liberated a Z71 of its factory fogs on my last trip out.

I've got a couple of vertical fog switches. One with a pigtail and one in a triple switch bezel.

And I plan on using all the spots on that triple switch holder, but need a horizontal fog switch for the fogs.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some work done on the truck.
Pulled off the janky fifth wheel and the rusty original rear hitch.
Installed a Class 5 Curt Hitch, #15325.

So rusty there are holes through it. I think it's been dipped into sea water a few times while launching boats.

The prettiness of a brand new hitch.