Dual electric fan wiring...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the 98 C/K truck, start with looking at the under-hood fuse/relay box. If you have a relay location noted as "AUX FAN" and 30 amp fuse marked AUX FAN. It is the factory location controlling ground on & off for this relay, by the VCM/PCM cavity 9 (DK BLU). B+ to the AUX FAN relay coil comes from the A/C compressor fuse 10A, but aux fan relay switch is 30A fuse in dedicated spot, in the same electrical center. If you have an empty spot with no AUX FAN relay listed, a tuner can add it to make the factory program for a towing package (I would guess). As for fans running with A/C compressor, the description for the "AUX FAN" if equipped is; Auxiliary cooling fan provides additional cooling for low speed vehicle operation, extended idle, stop and go conditions, and running the air conditioning system.
This is from GM eSI (Electronic service information). Now this is one fan, but if re-programmed to make operational on a vehicle without it, you can use the same ground signal from the VCM/PCM to operate two relays with 30 amp fused supply and they will come on with VCM command, using engine temp inputs built in without adding any sensors or switches.
Note; if the cavities are empty, you use your dual fan kits relays, by just adding one wire (Circuit #473) to the VCM to operate the fans relays. Depending on your skills, it can be done fairly easy with terminals & wire from a local bone yard for the VCM.
Look up; www.LT1swap.com and email Brendan to ask if he can do that for you. $75 is programming charge.
You must be registered for see images attach
Just look at your fuse/relay center to see if the relay and fuse is listed...Then go from there. It's probably a factory option. Item #1 is AUX FAN relay, #2 Fuse/Relay center, #3 VCM.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Ken K thank you that answers a lot of questions. I’ll check tonight when I get home and I’ll look up the rpo codes to see if it has a factory tow package.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I looked at the RPO code and it shows z82: TRAILER PROVISIONS, SPECIAL EQUIPMENT, H.0.

No relay but there is a slot for AUX FAN @Ken K

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a possible use of locations inside the relay/fuse center. Mount the kits relays near the box where you can get to them easy. Install wires, terminals, fuse and flash your VCM to turn on the AUX FAN function. Your tuner may choose to change the temp at what point you want the fans to turn on. et me know if you need help with getting the terminals out by taking a good well lit photo of the cavity in the plastic relay/fuse housing. That will help me identify what type of terminal you have. I have 5 Kent-Moore wire pliers and 8 boxes of terminals, so photos I post may help.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kit I bought only had one relay that is supposedly good to run 2 fans. Their instructions were crap. Luckily I just remembered I folded it up and stuck it in my pocket so here’s a picture of it

There’s written instructions on the back that are completely vague. I was told that the temp sensor on the head can’t be used since it just a sending unit and doesn’t ground out to signal the switch.

Your picture makes more sense and is 10x easier to follow. My patience for wiring starts out high but falls short a few mins in or so.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This looks like a 280 metri-pack P/N 12015857. It has a tang that holds it in place. Push the wire up from the back, insert tool into tiny window over the terminal and twist while pushing. The crimp pliers are nice but not needed, but the removal tool I made from a spring steel out of an old school wiper blade. Grind the end a little and should work fine.
A second look appears to have the plastic tang in the connector housing. Use the same type of tool or small pick, push it away from the terminals, gently pull out. You will see it has
a square hole on the side where the plastic tang fits into. Just work with it, i will get the correct photos later.