Dual electric fan wiring...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced the water pump on my 98 silverado yesterday. Already had two 12" electric fans and a wiring with relay for dual fans so figured it is a good time to install while the clutch fan is off.

Is there a better way to install this kit?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1GY9Z3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I spliced into the temp gauge wire and could not get the fans to turn on once it got up to operating temp and the tstat opened. The kit came with the brass plug to go into the head or intake and I do not want to use that.

Is there a better way to wire them up? Are there any better kits out there? Would it be better to just wire it to a Control switch to set the on/off temp?

Currently I wired the fans directly to an IGN ON only hot wire in the fuse box in the door jam, used the wipers fuse with a 30amp fuse. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year truck is it?

I would prefer a temperature switch to control them and also a A/C switch signal so they will come on with the A/C compressor.
The thing is you don't need them to be running all the time. On all the LS Swaps we have done the fans rarely ever come on without the AC on.
I can pull up to red light and wait 2 minutes and my fans never come on (210* ON).
No point in running them if you dont need to. But wiring them to the IGN will work just fine.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year truck is it?

I would prefer a temperature switch to control them and also a A/C switch signal so they will come on with the A/C compressor.
The thing is you don't need them to be running all the time. On all the LS Swaps we have done the fans rarely ever come on without the AC on.
I can pull up to red light and wait 2 minutes and my fans never come on (210* ON).
No point in running them if you dont need to. But wiring them to the IGN will work just fine.

It’s a 1998. That’s what I was reading when google searching. Everyone was tapping into the A/C but not sure about where to tie into.

In the winter I can get away without running a fan but Missouri summers a fan is a must. I tow roughly 3-4500lbs of square bales so max cooling is a must.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah ok!
Ill have to look back through my tunes but im pretty sure you can wire Efans to your PCM if you get a tune done for it.
But the A/C should have 2 wires going to the clutch. You will need the wire that gets the signal. Being if its already grounded and getting 12V or opposite.
Wire that to the relay and it will cycle with the Clutch
Are you planning on running the fans wide open all the time?

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably this summer hauling hay I’ll let them run open and get replace the trans cooler with one that has a fan as well.

I was wondering about running it off the sensor on the thermostat housing but not sure how to go about that either. I was told that I can’t tap into the gauge since it is just a sending unit.

Ideally wiring them to come on and off at a set temp would be nice while also having an override switch in the cab for towing in the summer.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IF you wanted to get a tune id use the controls from the PCM and a over ride switch along with the AC Clutch signal.

I found a stock 1998 L31 tune for EFI Live and it does have Efan controls.

You must be registered for see images attach

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Acutally it shows the PCM can control the Fans with the AC pressures. Id give that a try.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome info. I was planning on getting a tune. I was going to use BBP but I may go locally with a company that will dyno tune it. Thank you for sharing.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like BBP, he has helped me a ton over the years. I highly suggest him.
He can do awesome mail order tunes. Especially for a stock engine i don't see a dyno tune worth it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 for Black Bear Performance. Those dudes can work magic via mail order tunes.

Justin used a base from a '97 Express van and got my 4.3/80E combo up and running flawlessly.