Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ordered up a set of rear shackles from local parts store. Went with Moog because....not Dorman. Lol
Figured if I had to fight sooooooo hard to get the bolt out, going to fight equally hard to get a new one in.
Then cruising the big A, saw some 454ss style mirrors, plastic, but the reviews seam to be mostly positive. See how that works out for me. And found the AC Delco door pins and bushings, ordered 2 sets cuz old Jeff needs more money for his **** rockets!!!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shackles came in today, picked them up.
Just fought the 2nd shackle bolt out. Took me an hour!!!! Heat, lube washers and 2ft breaker bar. Not fun. But at least tomorrow morning I can lower the rear end and rotate it so I can lower the springs to the floor, hopefully make fighting the other 2 bolts out so I can install the new shackles and keep moving forward on this.

To anyone thinking of doing this on a 30yr old truck without taking the bed off, give yourself a smack in the head right friggin now!!! That was my plan, but of course couldn't get enough of the right people here at the same time to do it. So learn from my "learning opportunities"!!!!

Relaxing for the rest of the evening, for tomorrow.....we battle!!!!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is where I'm at right now.
One shackle changed. OMG!!!!! It was soooooooo much easier than the other bolts. Just cut the head off, lubed and stacked washers. Hot it with the impact and bam! Done. Amazing what can happen when you have room for the right tools. Remember.....take your damn bed off!!!!
Just unclipped the brake lines so I have room to fenangle the rear end around without damaging anything or opening up the brake lines.
And I didn't remove the bushing in the leaf spring because I KNOW I don't have the tools or patience for that today. So they will go on the shelf.....one day.....one day!! Lol
Quick smoke break and back at it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Other shackle on....and the devil's goo applied (antisieze) to the bolts so when I FINALLY replace the bushings, it won't fight so much. Lol

Both bump stops off, they were a bugger. Thank goodness for breaker bars!

Going to drop the bed back down and bolt it up to help with the frame rigidity before marking and cutting the notches.
thats where we are now.

Sidebar question. Noticed the tank when I was under there. Is that "flange" on the plastic shield supposed to be under the tank flange or outside and above it, for lack of better explanation.

Looking from the back it looks like the shield is definitely lower on the passenger side, makes me think it should be outside. I pre-lubed the bolt in anticipation of someone smarter than I answering this.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Other shackle on....and the devil's goo applied (antisieze) to the bolts so when I FINALLY replace the bushings, it won't fight so much. Lol

Both bump stops off, they were a bugger. Thank goodness for breaker bars!

Going to drop the bed back down and bolt it up to help with the frame rigidity before marking and cutting the notches.
thats where we are now.

Sidebar question. Noticed the tank when I was under there. Is that "flange" on the plastic shield supposed to be under the tank flange or outside and above it, for lack of better explanation.

Looking from the back it looks like the shield is definitely lower on the passenger side, makes me think it should be outside. I pre-lubed the bolt in anticipation of someone smarter than I answering this.
I’d think it should be as pictured so anything on top drip off the sides and not between tank and shield. My 0.02.

While you’re that far in, why not drop the tank and clean everything up for new paint/rust prevention?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d think it should be as pictured so anything on top drip off the sides and not between tank and shield. My 0.02.

While you’re that far in, why not drop the tank and clean everything up for new paint/rust prevention?
That was my thought process as well.
The tank is actually "new" back in 2002ish. Had the bed off last year when I was doing the cab corner and wire brushed the frame down for some new spraypaint resto (outside of the frame cuz I'm lazy). Hopefully this spring it will get blown apart for paint and I'll take core of more of the frame.
I took whatever surface rust was on the tank off and hit it with some rust conversion spray.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
marked out and ready to go.
safety 6x6 installed.....only one thing left to do right!!!
and that's install the safety cardboard!!!!
Betcha thought it was cut!!!!! Silly people...gotta try and keep the sparks away from the gas tank.

Glasses on and let's get it done!
And I did. Man, that was a looooooong time coming!!!!
installed and torqued to spec!
Whoopwhoop!!!
I am DONE for the day. Still have to drill the bottom two holes, just don't have it in me today. Been a good day, I'm ok with it.
The axle is where it's supposed to be and torqued down as well. Driveshaft is reattached.
So tomorrow is a dozen holes to drill, shock extenders to install and I think that's about it.
And I guess reattach the shackles.
At least the passenger side is a bit easier without the wiring and brake lines to fight with.