Dreaded intake manifold leak...I think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently developed an intermittent coolant leak, traced it from the trans bell housing up to what I believe is the rear end of the intake manifold. Managed to slide my phone in and grab some pics. These are from the driver side facing down, just below the distributor. Is this in fact the rear corner of the intake manifold? Thanks in advance

You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, for some reason these almost always show up on the driver's side. What engine and how many miles? There are a handful of videos on YT that will help you out.

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, time to start studying up. Doesn’t seem too challenging, just a PITA. Are the FelPro gaskets still the go-to for replacement?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5.7 Vortec, only 65k original miles

That's very low mileage! Is it the truck on your Avatar? Looks nice.

Not too bad of a job if you are mechanically inclined.

The "updated" gaskets are the ones with the metal lamination along with rubber(?) gasket. Yes, Fel-pro.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
happened to my 94 K1500 just before getting replaced by a 383 stroker. Had about 160,000 miles when it happened.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Noticed coolant on my bell housing as well. Looks like i’ll be getting my intake manifold gasket replaced as well. Good timing though, I plan on upgrading my spider, so I’ll have the shop do it at the same time.

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's very low mileage! Is it the truck on your Avatar? Looks nice.

Thanks! It is the truck in my avatar, 97 K1500 I inherited from my grandpa who bought it new in 97. Got it a year and a half ago with 52k on it, bone stock. It spent most of its life in his garage as he had multiple vehicles. Now that it’s my DD, issues like this start to pop up (already replaced a few seals, fuel pump, coolant hoses, water pump, full ign tune-up, etc.) Luckily I am mechanically inclined and feel confident I can tackle the job. The truck runs beautifully otherwise.