Dont understand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barra72k

Reaction score
I have a 1990 Chevy truck 305 it wont start unless i squirt a lil bit of gas or carb cleaner in the tbi carb but once it starts and warms up it will start everytime ( the idle does go up and down at times) but if i let it sit for more then an hour it wont start i have to do the same thing again squirt gas or carb cleaner in it again and it will start and be fine as long as i dont let it sit more then an hour.:hmm:

reptilla

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have seen this with a faulty fuel pump relay!

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its losing prime some kinda way sounds like. put a new fuel pump in her and i bet that will fix it

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
before you dump the cash for anything check the wiring. I had the same thing happen to an 86 camaro the main hot wire to supply it's 12 volts from the battery to the dist. block was broke. I could prime it by giving it 12 volts to the FP test port in the ALDL or dianostic port, which you should try. When I did that or dumped gas in it, it would start, once running the oil pressurew switch that's in the circuit took over and kept it going, and the idle would go up and down. it ran kinda rough. I bought a new pump and relay and it never fixed it, found the broke wire and problem solved.

I could NOT hear the pump come on with the key, see if yours is, if so then it's probably a bad pump.

If not try to energize it thru the ALDL, I'll try to find the pic of which one to supply 12 volts to, and if that makes it work and run it's the main hot wire for it. MAYBE the relay but mine was the wire.

You could always check the fuel pressure but you need the right adapter for tbi and then the tester itself.