Do I need upper control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There a lil low, but that's how they are designed. 15 years ago control arms were the way to go. If I could swap em for springs I would
Huh? and Huh?

15 years ago offerings for GMT400 drop parts weren't substantially different than they are today.

Drop spindles plus drop lower control arms has always been a bad combination.

If it was my truck I'd throw stock lowers and a set of good drop springs on it. But I like doing things in ways that work right.

Richard

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Moog ball joints have a cut out around the ball stud so that the shaft can be at a horrible angle and not hit the side of the housing. Moog are junk imo, snapped 2 uppers now. I looked at your photos and I know for your set up the control arms are the only real solution.

soco707

Reaction score
Huh? and Huh?

15 years ago offerings for GMT400 drop parts weren't substantially different than they are today.

Drop spindles plus drop lower control arms has always been a bad combination.

If it was my truck I'd throw stock lowers and a set of good drop springs on it. But I like doing things in ways that work right.

Richard
drop spindles isn't the right way when you do drop spindles it changes the geometry of the ball joints and it also limits your rim size when you turn the wheels to the lock position or just in fact turn sharp. Do it dropped A arm minimal never more than 2 inches and a lowered spring that way the spring is still the same length as original spring it's just rated differently and your ball joint geometry stays at the stock angle. You never do a spindle and A arm combination either..!! do a spindle and spring or A arm and spring but never a spindle and A arm whoever does it like that is an idiot

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
this is what I'm talking about. My stock A arm is putting my ball joints in an awkward angle, aftermarket A arms change that angle. So I think I found my answer.
I've also heard of people taking the stock A arms and flipping them, then switching the drivers and passenger sides, because they are offset.

Flipping UCAs like that will really screw with your caster, and likely not in a good way. I'd be inclined to hearing more on this from those who've done it.

drop spindles isn't the right way when you do drop spindles it changes the geometry of the ball joints and it also limits your rim size when you turn the wheels to the lock position or just in fact turn sharp. Do it dropped A arm minimal never more than 2 inches and a lowered spring that way the spring is still the same length as original spring it's just rated differently and your ball joint geometry stays at the stock angle. You never do a spindle and A arm combination either..!! do a spindle and spring or A arm and spring but never a spindle and A arm whoever does it like that is an idiot

Can you clarify on your spindle comments? The beauty of a drop spindle is that it lowers the truck WITHOUT altering roll centers or putting ball joints at awkward angles. Also, color me ignorant, but I'm not tracking on how a control arm could lower a truck?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're confused about drop spindles. Everything is the same as a stock spindle except for where the axle is placed on the spindle; higher up in the casting to drop the wheel in relation to the rest of the truck. It does not affect the ball joints in any way whatsoever. The distance and placement of the bosses for the ball joint studs are the same as a stock spindle.

Agreed somewhat on limiting wheel size - if you want to continue to run 15's, drop spindles -may- cause a clearance problem, but it depends on which spindles you use, which wheels you're running, and whether or not you wish to trim a small amount of material off the lower control arm.

Totally agreed on not doing drop spindle plus drop control arm. That's asking for trouble with how low of a scrub line you get. I know plenty of people have done it and "haven't had any problems yet" or whatever, but it's still not smart.

Richard