do any of the the cold air intakes work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If any of them do, will there really be a power/performance gain? If so which is the best one to get and is worth $250?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest I'm not sure if any of them are better than the factory system. If I knew that a few years ago I never would have bought my K&N. The best aftermarket system would definitely be Volant, they have a closed box that draws air from the hole in the fender just like the factory system. A lot of the other ones (like my K&N) draw air from inside the engine compartment which is less than ideal. Also, keep in mind that the oiled filters (again, like the K&N) don't really filter all that well. They will let a lot more air through, but they also let a lot more crap into your engine that you don't want there. In addition, if you ever over oil them they can bleed oil onto your MAF sensor which is a pain to clean. I replaced my K&N filter with an Amsoil Ea series and that's what I would personally recommend as an air filter for anyone who asks. They're pricy, but they filter extremely well and are cleanable and reusable. They don't use any oil, you can just blast them out with shop air.

Constantine

Reaction score
What is it about the Volant design that makes it superior to the oem style breather system?

I'm not doubting performance increase just curious.

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little larger filter surface area is about it. A little gain in the amount of air being pulled into the motor. I have an Airaid intake with no box that I put in years ago because it looked cool. Wouldn't do it again. A paper Fram filter will do a better job at filtering the air and only high school kids will claim horsepower gains. Cold air intakes are for aesthetics, IMO...

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
I don't think it helps with power a whole lot of any but you don't have to replace the filter. You can just clean it and it's good to go. My trucks had a cold air intake for well over 2 years now and the filter hasn't been touched since install and it still isn't as dirty as the filter on my 82 after 6 months

Sent while pulling out a Ford

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do like the reusable feature. I run my Airaid with a prefilter (in AZ) and it holds up pretty well between cleanings. My 'Hoe is left stock, so as soon as I find a swarm of bees in the airbox I'll replace...

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For every ~7*f rise in intake temperature you loose about 1% hp. If you put in a box like an Airaid or K&N with the open element, you go from pulling cool, ambient air from the fender to the hot air off the radiator.

The advantage of the Volant is their quality filters and the fact that they do away with the almost 90* bend out if the factory air box which reduces turbulence in the intake tube.

Last edited:

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run the Volant too, K&N has the dyno sheet to back up there power gains, Volant hasn't from what I have seen, but its a great setup, filter is in a box so it doesn't draw in warm engine air, draws air from the fender like the factory setup

You must be registered for see images

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I run the Volant too, K&N has the dyno sheet to back up there power gains, Volant hasn't from what I have seen, but its a great setup, filter is in a box so it doesn't draw in warm engine air, draws air from the fender like the factory setup

Personally I wonder about that dyno sheet from K&N. There's really no telling what all else they did between runs. They say it's just a before and after with their CAI, but I'm willing to bet there was some trickery involved. They say my V6 was supposed to gain around 6HP, but I seriously doubt that it did.

You guys running Volants, are they oiled filters like the K&N? Just wondering so I know whether or not I'll have to buy another Amsoil filter if I ever put a Volant on the Burb.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally I wonder about that dyno sheet from K&N. There's really no telling what all else they did between runs. They say it's just a before and after with their CAI, but I'm willing to bet there was some trickery involved. They say my V6 was supposed to gain around 6HP, but I seriously doubt that it did.
Got a point there, all just a marketing gimmick, easy enough to make up dyno charts and so called gains, I like the K&N setup just don't like how the filter isn't in a box, when the hoods down its supposed to seal with that gasket but overtime that can get worn and leak