Distributor cap and base moving but hold down bolt is tight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinC2500

Reaction score
I've never run across this before. Its important to note that the hold down bolt is doing it's job as the distributor itself is not moving. Only the cap and base that the cap attaches to is moving.

If I grab the distributor cap and try to turn it in either direction I have about an inch total play left and right. I am making the movement similar to adjusting the timing yet the hold down bolt is 100% tight. The distributor itself is NOT moving....only the cap and base that the cap is mounted to.

I went to my local parts store and looked at a new dist. It did not have the play in it and was tight.

I'm thinking the play isnt normal so is this a repair or replace situation?

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replace the whole distributor. Its is "walking", and worn out. I was there. I set timing on my 1999 suburban 5.7 at zero and within seconds it was 25 degrees off and i could watch it walk around.

KevinC2500

Reaction score
Replace the whole distributor. Its is "walking", and worn out. I was there. I set timing on my 1999 suburban 5.7 at zero and within seconds it was 25 degrees off and i could watch it walk around.
Thanks and that's about what I figured. Pretty sure this is the cause of my rough cold-weather starts as well or at least a contributing factor. Any suggestions for a quality distributor that won't break the bank? Thanks again!!

KevinC2500

Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE???
Sorry, new to this board and didn't list the vehicle.

Out of curiosity, Is there a vehicle (in particular a GMT400, since this is the content of this board) where what I am describing is normal? Based on a previous reply on this board and ppl I have talked to in person this seems to be a defective distributor, no matter the vehicle. I could, of course, be very wrong. I'm here to learn so a distributor performing like mine on purpose would surely be interesting to know.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fairly easy to get the distributor hold-down in a place where it tightens down but doesn't secure the distributor. I'd recheck it and make sure the fingers are clamping down on the distributor's lower flange.

KevinC2500

Reaction score
It's fairly easy to get the distributor hold-down in a place where it tightens down but doesn't secure the distributor. I'd recheck it and make sure the fingers are clamping down on the distributor's lower flange.
Definitely zero movement of the distributor itself as I have watched it multiple times. Also, the very light force needed to turn the cap (in this situation) would never be enough to turn the entire distributor.