Default Front wheels locking up - lightly hit brakes they free up/???????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I already posted this in the transfer case forum, but no ones replied so I'm not sure where I should ask this. Anyways my 97 k1500 z71 is having an issue. Randomly the front wheels lock up when first putting it in gear, if i lightly press the brakes they free up. Also when driving slowly (5mph) traffic if I hit the brakes and then let off it feels like something starts to catch and starts making a grinding noise and starts to shutter. Anyone know what the issue could be? I'm thinking something with the transfer case or torque converter considering it happens with the brake switch engaging/disengaging. Oh and the truck is in 2wd, I haven't tried anything in 4wd. Anyone know of anything I can try or test???

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I've owned the truck I haven't which has been about 2 years.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really dont think its the brakes locking up. It feels like each side will move seperately and it grinds, not just hanging up like a stuck caliper or anything. I can't seem to find any info on what it could possibly be though :(

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my brakes felt the same way after i put new calibers and pads on it. the brake hoses fixed mine.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You think thats it even though when it starts to grind and lock up i barely press the brakes and it starts rolling freely?

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine would lock up when you come to a stop, and i would release my brakes the truck would sit for about 10 seconds and then it would start rolling

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
90% of the time mines fine, but once in a while when i get up in the morning to go to work it will be locked up and it feels like the front left wheel rolls a little and the right front siezes up then i lightly press the brakes and it seems to catch up. I have to tap the brakes a few times to get it to roll normally. The part that really worries me is that sometimes when rolling around 10-15 mph in traffic or even now its happen when going about 40 it starts to make a harsh grinding noise and I have to lightly press the brake pedal (not enough to brake but to activate the brake switch) and it stops making the noise and rolls normal. I can even accelerate with my foot barely on the brake like that with no issues.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We had the exact same problem when we bought our dually in Florida. The torque converter started slipping and the tranny would drop out of overdrive. As soon as I replaced the torque converter the problem went away. The truck had 85K on it.