Dana 80= Dana 80, right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had no idea that those were the only gears offered in the HDs are we talking 3500 only or 2500 as well??? Im assuming the gear made up for the lack of power back then? 5.13 is a massive gear for anything unloaded to be economical by aany stretch. comparing apples to oranges here but my new HD only has 3.73s and has a max tow rating of 18.5k as a gasser and I think the Diesels will tow almost double that with 3.42s but obviously they have double the input torque.
In typical GM fashion, they recycled nomenclature which makes it confusing. The GMT 400 3500 HD was in between the 3500 and Kodiak lines. In the GMT 800 body style, 2500 and 3500 series trucks became HD's (a 1500HD was also available) and in 03 the GMT 400 3500HD (the last of the 400's) was dropped from the lineup.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
had no idea that those were the only gears offered in the HDs are we talking 3500 only or 2500 as well??? Im assuming the gear made up for the lack of power back then? 5.13 is a massive gear for anything unloaded to be economical by aany stretch. comparing apples to oranges here but my new HD only has 3.73s and has a max tow rating of 18.5k as a gasser and I think the Diesels will tow almost double that with 3.42s but obviously they have double the input torque.
Yeah when I say HD in this forum I mean 3500HD, was just shortening because I am frequently guilty of writing books instead of posts. To clarify the 3500HD is what Ford was competing with when they upsized their F450SD from 16" to 19.5" to get heavier duty tires and bigger brakes, etc. The 3500HD was developed from "stock" parts borrowed from a few different GM lines, with the chassis derived from the motorhome chassis.

I upsized tires on this one to 245/70/19.5 which are 33.2" ... same size that comes on an F550SD, I believe. Hey; it was a great deal I scored on a set of Goodyears that were designed for "high scrub" applications and normally would set you back nearly $3K a set of 6.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up guys THAT makes much more sense. I usually dont question some of the things i read from the regulars because 99% of the time you guys are dead on but for a moment I was wondering.