Dad's '98 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
I made an order to Cunningham Machine last week for all new parts for both doors and everything showed up today.

-Door pins & Bushings
-New rollers
-New springs
-Door roller catch arms
-New stainless steel door strikers

Those doors should close super smooth now.

You must be registered for see images attach

The filler panel I grabbed from the yard.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I made an order to Cunningham Machine last week for all new parts for both doors and everything showed up today.

-Door pins & Bushings
-New rollers
-New springs
-Door roller catch arms
-New stainless steel door strikers

Those doors should close super smooth now.

The filler panel I grabbed from the yard.
Can you do a write-up on replacing the door rollers? I have to do them on my truck. I've done bushings and pins but not the other door hinge parts. Thanks in advance!

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Can you do a write-up on replacing the door rollers? I have to do them on my truck. I've done bushings and pins but not the other door hinge parts. Thanks in advance!
They’ll be getting replaced at the body shop when the new doors are hung actually.

I think there are several videos on YouTube that I’ve watched. It doesn’t look to be too involved.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Got a photo from the painter tonight. He finally was able to start tearing it down this evening. I can’t even describe how I feel right now……excited, nervous, emotional, a little bit of everything.

Keep in mind I learned to drive in this truck and it’s been in my life for the past 25 years. It’s going to be weird seeing it in one solid color. My dad loved the two tone and I did too, but it’s time for a change. If the truck was going back to OEM looks, I’d keep it.

I’ll post any photos I get as he sends them to me.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a photo from the painter tonight. He finally was able to start tearing it down this evening. I can’t even describe how I feel right now……excited, nervous, emotional, a little bit of everything.

Keep in mind I learned to drive in this truck and it’s been in my life for the past 25 years. It’s going to be weird seeing it in one solid color. My dad loved the two tone and I did too, but it’s time for a change. If the truck was going back to OEM looks, I’d keep it.

I’ll post any photos I get as he sends them to me.

It's hard to see your truck stripped down and sanded back etc, but oh boy when you walk back in and see it wearing a shiny new coat of paint it is all worth it.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems was the 3rd door being stuck shut. The handle was broke, but the rods inside the door were also rusted in place from salt/water getting up inside the door through the rusted out bottom. I woke up to these Snapchats this morning

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Got some more updates today o_O

I love to see progress, but seeing her like this is just….wow.

Planning on running out to the shop next week to grab my old bed, doors, and other body panels because they aren’t actually in terrible shape for being in Michigan. I’m going to try to recoup some of my money on FB marketplace.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
They began work today on removal of the driver side rockers. They were pretty rough to say the least. He said he was able to get the inner done today on the driver side before switching back over to some other vehicles that are in for repair. Either way, seeing some progress is always nice!