Dad's '98 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the wheels; but that's a sharp truck!
How do you like the Durango? I'm less than impressed with the ones I'm around. My best friend's wife had a 2021 that was a bit of a basket case with only 67K miles on it.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the wheels; but that's a sharp truck!
How do you like the Durango? I'm less than impressed with the ones I'm around. My best friend's wife had a 2021 that was a bit of a basket case with only 67K miles on it.

I’ve never been a fan of big wheels, but they’ve grown on me. My truck is literally going to be a pavement princess when it’s done so I will likely be doing similar.

As for the Durango, I love it so far. We’ve only had it a couple months, but my wife is in love with it. The only downside is fuel consumption and the cost of 93 octane, but it was expected. We’re only at 6,000 miles now so we have a ways to go before anything goes wrong hopefully.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Got the ball rolling a bit. We headed down to Alabama the other day to visit the inlaws. There is a yard nearby that specializes in wrecked late model GM trucks. We pulled the trailer down and grabbed a bed, both front doors, and the entire front clip. I still have my 3rd door at home as well as my tailgate which I bought from this place 5 years ago. The truck will be going into the body shop sometime between the beginning and middle of October.

You must be registered for see images attach

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Had a plan all put together to grab a grille and some other random pieces at a U Pull It yard today. Drove down there and apparently a tornado went thru a few days ago and there is zero power so they were closed. Hit up a local brewery for lunch and came back home empty handed.

Shortly after getting home, I was standing in the garage with my doors open and realized how nasty my seat belts are. 25 years of dirt and grease along with whatever else made them look bad. Grabbed my pressure washer and carefully sprayed them down. Let them dry and they look like new.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had a plan all put together to grab a grille and some other random pieces at a U Pull It yard today. Drove down there and apparently a tornado went thru a few days ago and there is zero power so they were closed. Hit up a local brewery for lunch and came back home empty handed.

I was standing in the garage with my doors open and realized how nasty my seat belts are. 25 years of dirt and grease along with whatever else made them look bad. Grabbed my pressure washer and carefully sprayed them down. Let them dry and they look like new.

Man I need to do that to mine, they're absolutely disgusting.
How'd you get them to stay? Bungee cord on the buckle?

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Man I need to do that to mine, they're absolutely disgusting.
How'd you get them to stay? Bungee cord on the buckle?
Yep, I strapped a bungee through the buckle and then ran it under the rear wheel well to the bed support. Then flipped the belt and did the same thing only I ran the cord to the front bumper tow hook.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good, but unfortunately that frayed edge means that it will snap like a piece of string in a real collision. When it comes to your personnel safety it's always best to be over cautious and replace them, that way you will still be around to fix your truck and carry on.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to unload the bed, doors, and front clip from my trailer today and take a better look at everything. I found a couple dings and small dents, but nothing that should be a problem for my body guy.

I ordered my new front and rear bumpers yesterday from LMC so those should be here soon.

Counting down the weeks until she goes under the knife.

Last edited:

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Well it’s finally gonna happen!! It’s only taken 13 years (dad passed in 2010). I’m not going for the original stock look like I originally thought. It’s going to be a mix of everything my dad liked and some of the modern things I like, not everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m doing this for me.

Loaded up the southern bed, front clip, both front doors, 3rd door and my new cab corners I bought from LMC. The tailgate currently on my truck is from Alabama too so that will be getting painted, but the banner will be removed. Also bought both front and rear bumpers & the license plate light housings from LMC that are going to be color matched along with a new OEM GM door handle to go with my passenger one.

Hauled everything over to the body shop today and will be taking the truck back tomorrow and leaving it there. I’m running to a U Pull it yard tomorrow morning to grab a OEM grille and the filler piece since mine is cracked and the mounting tabs are broke.

Wide angle makes it look weird

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Went to the U Pull it yard yesterday, but struck out for the most part. I was looking for a grille for the ‘98 and seats for my crew cab, but everything was trashed. I managed to grab the lower grille filler panel and some random stuff like A/C knobs, some random plastic fasteners/screws, and a gauge cluster out of ‘99 Tahoe for my crew cab.

My ‘98 got dropped off to the body shop once we got home. After all these years of it having rust, it’s going to finally get fixed. These are the last photos I took of it with all the rust.