Cylinder 3 misfire 1996 Chevy K1500 4.3 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the intake gaskets replaced by local mechanic and now he is telling me the #3 cylinder is misfiring? Is this something he(mechanic) possible did as a result of replacing the gaskets? Common problem or not...

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is certainly possible. If the engine did not have a miss when you brought it to the shop, then I would suspect his workmanship. If he didn't document it as an issue when he did the initial diagnosis and quote, he's up a creek and should/will be eating some parts/labor.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure, it's possible. Did you take take the truck to the shop and tell them to replace the intake gaskets, or did the shop diagnose and repair the intake leak? If the former, he did what you asked and as long as the misfire is not caused by a leaky intake, he's done what was asked of him.

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is certainly possible. If the engine did not have a miss when you brought it to the shop, then I would suspect his workmanship. If he didn't document it as an issue when he did the initial diagnosis and quote, he's up a creek and should/will be eating some parts/labor.
The check engine light was not on nor was it misfiring. When a machanic starts off by saying "well i checked everything I touched" and thats not the problem..... I start to get the feeling that I'm going to be screwed. Will know more tomorrow

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure, it's possible. Did you take take the truck to the shop and tell them to replace the intake gaskets, or did the shop diagnose and repair the intake leak? If the former, he did what you asked and as long as the misfire is not caused by a leaky intake, he's done what was asked of him.
Yes he did what was asked - to replace the intake gaskets question i have is "can the changing of the intake gaskets have anything to do with causing a misfire? If this is a seperate isssue all together and one has nothing to do with the other, than I'm okay with that. I just dont want to take the machanic word and wind up paying for his mistake.
Thanks for replying.....