Custom Speaker Upgrade 91 Dually need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I just Bought a 91 dually extra cab, and I wanna upgrade the speakers, but I found out its two 4x6" speakers up front, and I think 4x6's on the rear pillar.

Ive dealt with small speakers in the dash before, and it seems that the sun eats them up and they really dont sound that great.

so anyways, I wanna Put 6" speakers in the door and cut out the back to 6x9's. my question is wheres the best location for the 6" speakers in the front doors and is it a pain to get 6x9's in the rear pillars?

If you have done this, can you please post pictures and what speakers you used?

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haven't ever attempted this, but I can tell you just by looking that 6"x9"s in the rear is going to be damn near impossible. If you do find a way to make it work, it's going to be a huge pain in the ass.

Personally I'd stick with the stock speaker sizes, get some with nice rubber surrounds and a decent cone material that you're not worried about rotting away. It's all about what you pick out. I've got a few pairs of rubber surround 4"x6"s laying around in the garage that survived two vehicles. If it's better sound you're after, 6"x9"s aren't going to help much. You'll gain a little bass from the 6" and 6"x9"s together, but I think you'd be better off sticking with good 4"x6"s and a small sub if that's what you're going for. Whole lot less work and it'll sound better. Just my two cents.

94GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did 6.5 in rear. 4 inch in dash with 4x6 adapter plates. I can't seem to find a good spot for 6 with doors because I have some wood grain. Check my build thread.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.