cross over steering question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkh_524

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a solid axle swap and i need to fix my steering. I would like to do the cross over steering like what ORU has but dont really want to spend that kinda of money.

My questions are is it really worth what there price is for it or is there anther company that makes a cross over steering?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I have a solid axle swap and i need to fix my steering. I would like to do the cross over steering like what ORU has but dont really want to spend that kinda of money.

My questions are is it really worth what there price is for it or is there anther company that makes a cross over steering?

many companies make crossover steering or sell parts to make them, i made my own with parts, its not all that hard.

with crossover you must run a track bar so take that into account when figuring dom tube, heim joints ,tie rod ends and steering arms

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no need to run a track/panhard bar with crossoverover unless you have a lot of lift, low drop pitman and no rise arm at the axle.

At 7" with a 4" drop pitman and flat steering arm I didn't have any noticeable bump steer pre-ram assist.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's no need to run a track/panhard bar with crossoverover unless you have a lot of lift, low drop pitman and no rise arm at the axle.

At 7" with a 4" drop pitman and flat steering arm I didn't have any noticeable bump steer pre-ram assist.

X2 on the no track bar, i'm on 7" of lift and hardly any bump steer with just a steering stabilizer.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
it's not completely for bumpsteer, what happens is the frame tends to shift instead of turning the wheels until there is enough binding in the springs to overcome that, my 94 with only 4" springs had it and eventually even broke the rear stock 73-87 spring hangers i had used so i had to make the bars out of much thicker stock.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i home brewed mine . i used a pass side knuckle from oru number 60036-c it has nut up taper to match 10 bolt ds knuckle. bought a drop pitman arm superlift 1104 i think . got a piece of 7/8" cold roll from local welding/machine shop to weld in my 73-87 draglink sleeves. i used 73-87 draglink ends for pitman arm to knuckle. ended up with about 450.00-480.00 in the whole thing. im running about 5.5 inch lift .

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
i had a load of bump steer on mine without a track bar. i put one on and now have none. I would use a trac bar anyways to straighten the front axle

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's not completely for bumpsteer, what happens is the frame tends to shift instead of turning the wheels until there is enough binding in the springs to overcome that, my 94 with only 4" springs had it and eventually even broke the rear stock 73-87 spring hangers i had used so i had to make the bars out of much thicker stock.

Understood, but that doesn't mean their is anything wrong with doing it so long as you build or use mount that are strong enough. With a panhard you're just loading the mount you welded or bolted to the frame instead of the leaf spring hangers that are welded or bolted to the frame. It's just a more direct load path with fewer flexing members.

Reaction score
exactly. ive driven leaf spring chevys for 30 plus yrs. plus straight axle toyotas, samurais,scouts etc.. never needed a sway bar much less a trak bar. those were for fords. lol .
having the rear shackle inside rather than thru the frame gives it the twist effect .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMACGMC